View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 PM
bkrodgers
Regular 'Geeker

bkrodgers is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Look, we've been dumped. I know it hurts. I know you loved her.

OK folks. People complaining about a lot of this news are really missing the point. Microsoft isn't being insensitive and hurting you without meaning to. They're dumping you. Pure and simple. It was a good relationship for awhile, but it just wasn't meant to be. Microsoft really enjoyed the you time spent together, but they just want more. I know it hurts. I know you didn't want it to end. But they have needs, and you just weren't satisfying them. They tried to make it work, but it's time you both move on.

In other words...this is not an accident. (I'd like to think) Microsoft is not that stupid and oblivious. They know this community exists and they know what we want. They tried building a market around us and weren't getting the returns they wanted. We may feel betrayed, but they've made a very conscious decision to move in a direction that doesn't include us. Obviously they'd like to keep some of us around if we'll stay (hey, people hook up with their ex's even after they've moved on to someone else). But I don't think they made these decisions with no sense of awareness that they were going to lose a lot of us to Android and other platforms. It was a calculated decision. I would have thought they could have found a way to capture the larger consumer market they seek without abandoning us, but they decided that wasn't the strategy they were going to pursue. Right or wrong, they CHOSE to dump us.

So...are you going to curl up in a ball each night crying, wearing the shirt they left behind? Or are you going to buck up, accept that MS doesn't want to be with you anymore, and move on to something else? Who wants to be with someone who doesn't love them anymore?