View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 01:59 PM
JonV
Regular 'Geeker

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Update! Adamz Smoked Glass Rom Version 6.0 - 15Mar2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno1 View Post
awesome, thats what i was wondering... just how much was already accomplished when i loaded droidmod...
i did notice on the SmokedGlass thread it said i have to perform a wipe device

"You DO have to Wipe Data & Cache if coming from Android 2.0.1 (ie. Smoked Glass v5.0.1) You will be prompted to do so during installation."
does this include wiping the SD card as well, or just the phones memory
if it doesnt include the SD card
then what all would i need to back up?

still somewhat new to Android, but correct me if im wrong
contacts and calendar are stored in my gmail account, so no need to back those up,
my apps can be backed up using one of the file explorer programs to the SD card, then reloaded using the same program after i flash the new rom...

thanx again for all the help
-Danny
There is no need to wipe the sd card.

I think you can use the wipe data but keep apps option, can't you? I find that a godsend with this ROM. I do indeed use Astro file manager to backup my apps just in case but this option gets you right back up for the most part. With other ROMs I do re-install from the backed up apps for speed however if I'm not mistaken Market doesn't know you have the free ones installed so you lose the upgrade prompts. So I later go and reinstall the free apps so Market knows I have them. Correct me someone if I'm wrong on that as I've been on AdamZ's ROMs for a spell. Your paid app status though is kept in the settings that I assume you allow to be synced up to Google's cloud.

FYI I also try and back up any special app configurations that allow for it so they can be restored after wiping and installing the new ROM. Among these apps for me are More Icons and Setting Profiles.

Finally, if keeping your SMS messages is important you can use a tool like WaveSecure to back them up and restore them.

Last edited by JonV; 03-16-2010 at 02:18 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.