View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:50 AM
JokeZony0u
Halfway to VIP Status

JokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Scan Thumbprint Recognition

Actually a lenovo phone (or acer?) came out with one 2-3 years back. It really requires the user to scan his finger before the phone unlocks. I remember seeing a video of it it and it was pretty neat.

But back on topic- this isn't possible because the screen isn't meant for anything of that sort. It operates based upon "X and Y" coordinates. As a matter of a fact, no conventional screen can operate as a biometric scanner.

As for a camera using your eye to log you in? They can barely get a computer's facial recognition to work properly. I sh!t you not, I've held up a picture of my friend and it still logged him in (this is lenovo's we're talking about, not some crap aftermarket software).

If you're looking for a laptop, there does exist a laptop that would do eye scanning- you just have to look around for it, mainly because it isn't mainstream at all and expect to pay out of your nose (that info on the computer better be worth guarding) for it. I've seen a picture of it somewhere several years back, the idea is that when the user is bought to the login screen, an iris scanner pops out automatically on the side of the monitor

An eye scanner just isn't possible on a phone, neither a facial recognition for the mere fact that running either would require extensive hardware.