View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 PM
mhrc4

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Emails not deleting on Outlook exchange server

okay people, listen up, quick refresher on how ActiveSync works with WM and an Exchange server.

With WM and activesync, when AS is enabled and set to sync "As Items Arrive" what is happening in the background is the phone is maintaining a connection with the exchange server on a consistent basis. As soon as the Exchange server identifies that a new message has hit your mailbox, it sends a command back to AS to trigger a sync. Needless to say, this is still very old school, but it is the same way that Blackberry syncs email with their BES.

The big drawback to the WM and AS solution, is that WM does not have the triggers in your Pocket Outlook to tell AS that when a command is taken on the phone that is not a SEND EMAIL (i.e. a message is moved, deleted, etc) to initiate a sync.

Blue_94_Trooper. what you are probably seeing is that as your phone deletes the items, either another email or event hits your mailbox on the Exchange side and forces AS to initiate a sync, hence the difference in times of deleting an email

This is unfortunately, just how it is. I can attest to this as I have been working as an IT Consultant, Microsoft Certified Exchange engineer for over 8 years now, since "push" technology was rolled out to Windows Mobile.

To give you an idea, I was out today at a personal appointment, checking email, etc. I last got 3 emails around 2:00pm PST. I read them, moved two of them, and left the other in my inbox. I then turned and drove an hour back home. When i sat down and logged into Outlook, all 3 messages were sitting in my Inbox, unread. A quick manual sync of AS, and all 3 were applied the appropriate permissions.

Hope this helped shed a little light on how AS works.
This post has been thanked 1 times.