View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 11:52 AM
NinjaDuck
VIP Duck
Threadstarter

NinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sharing how I do UC (User Customization) - Handling Cabs with Prompts

Handling Cabs with Prompts

With the process I use, there are two ways to handle cabs with prompts:

Option #1

Create a MortScript file with the exact same name as the CAB file except with a MSCR suffix. The MortScript file must be put in the same folder as the CAB.

Example:
  • Opera Mobile.cab
  • Opera Mobile.mscr
MortScripts are just text files and not very hard to learn.

Here is an example of a script that would handle the prompts in Opera Mobile's installer:
Code:
windowTitle = "Opera Mobile Installer"
WaitFor(windowTitle, 120)
SendOK(windowTitle)
Opera Mobile Installer is the caption on the message box. It is that easy. Don't be scared.

Option #2

Cabs that prompt the user have a setup.dll enabled that executes some custom code after the install completes. In many cases, these can be disabled without a problem by editing the _SETUP.XML file in the cab and setting the following paramater to 0:
Code:
<parm name="SetupDLL" value="0" />
Be careful because some cabs actually do work during this phase. An example is Opera. It sets all the registry entries necessary to use it as the default browser. Editing the cabs takes a bit more work.

You can extract the cab I made for Opera to examine what I did HERE.

I will provide detail instructions for editing cabs in a later post. The intent of this section was to introduce you to your options so you can make a choice to stop learning here and use MortScript, or continue on in your quest for knowledge.

Last edited by NinjaDuck; 03-15-2010 at 11:05 PM.
This post has been thanked 26 times.