View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 11:51 AM
NinjaDuck
VIP Duck

NinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Learn UC / XDA_UC / Registry / XML Provisioning / CAB Editing {2010-12-15}

This is in response to a request by Neudof to help him get started using UC.

Disclaimer: There are many tools and methods for using UC and this is just my way. I welcome ideas and in no way consider what I do the best or only way.

What the hell is UC anyway?

UC is an application that silently install .cab, .xml, .mscr, and copies over files to your phone based on the instructions found in a file at the root of your storage card called SDconfig.txt.

The idea behind it is to be able to customize your phone settings and application the way you want it immediately after a new ROM flash without having to spend hours getting it back to the way you like it. For me, I have it down to simply waiting for my sync with exchange to complete after I flash and I am back where I left it.

PART 1
I use a tool called SDConfigGen to generate the config.txt file for me.

Read this thread: CLICK HERE

Unzip SDConfigGen.0.6.zip on your computer and you will have a directory structure created that looks like this:

Simple steps:
  1. Place your cabs in the cab folder - you can organize in to subfolders.
    • ** Make sure the cabs do not have prompts or you will have to customize them (I have done many) or write a MortScript to click the buttons for you (More on this later)
  2. Place any files you want copied to your device in the Files folder recreating the target tree structure on your device.
    • If you want to put files in the windows folder, create a subfolder called Windows and drop the files in there.
  3. Place any MortScripts you have in the Scripts folder.
  4. Drop Reg files or PROVISIONING XML documents in the Settings folder.
  5. Do not put anything in the Sys folder. This is where SDConfigGen will convert all your REG files and file copy requests to XML PROVISIONING files. This folder gets cleared out each time.
  6. Run SDConfigGen.exe found in the root folder.
  7. Copy the Config.txt file (generated when you run SDConfigGen.exe ) and the entire SDConfig folder that is to the root of your storage card.
  8. Flash a ROM that supports UC and watch the magic.
I will expand with more details on each section in later posts.

Converting from UC to XDA_UC

Many ROMS now support XDA_UC and some have stopped supporting UC. All of the topics I cover in this thread are totally applicable still.

Scroll down to post #6 to learn about the basics of XDA_UC and converting to it.
Attached Images
File Type: png SDConfigGen.PNG (3.9 KB, 3425 views) Click for barcode!
Attached Files
File Type: zip SDConfigGen.0.6.zip (17.8 KB, 236 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by NinjaDuck; 12-15-2010 at 09:39 PM.
This post has been thanked 54 times.