View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 PM
jbh00jh
Almost a VIP

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Traveling Abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by makryger View Post
The SIM card is already in your phone. You just have to phone verizon and ask them to activate the global roaming plan.

As I said in this post http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=109585...

I used the Imagio in Global mode while I was in Turkey. Verizon has a great plan that is basically $2 a day for unlimited internet abroad. I was worried, because the Verizon map did not show 3G service in Turkey. But as it turns out, everything worked VERY well. Fast enough speeds for all basic activities. I was able to use it via Skype to make phone calls without issue. I was able to tether it to my laptop and get internet on my computer basically anywhere. The most life-saving part was that I was able to use Google maps to navigate the very confusing streets of Istanbul. Everything just worked.

I can't say the same thing about blackberry phones though- other members of my family have the Tour and Storm 2, both World Phones. For some reason, they could not connect to 3G service abroad- the phones ended up freezing every few minutes and had to be restarted. The only way to fix it was to switch the phone to 2G mode.
I am aware that there is a SIM card in the phone , I was refering to SIM cards from foreign carriers that you can use in this phone. VZW will unlock your SIM card so you can use one from another carrier overseas.
Radio
1.39.00.0627r