View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 05:46 PM
manuva
Lurker

manuva is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Verizon HTC Touch Pro - 6.5 ROM?

Hey, could you point me to this kitchen? Also, does the GPS work fine?

All I need is Email & Internet (IE or Opera). Weather & Sense would be gravy!

Appreciate any answers! I'll post any successful ROMs I cook -- I am sure there are a lot of folks in the same boat as us (Verizon 6850 users).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Guy I would suggest for any VZW user to look towards using a Kitchen instead of a pre-cooked ROM....

No matter how good a ROM you find is, it will still contain some things you will never use (taking up ram you could use elsewhere!) and be missing some things you probably want as well.

Most of the RAM issues of a VZW can be easily overcome if you focus on creating a ROM that cuts out every bit of crap you will never use and only includes those items that absoloutly have to be installed to the device!

All the rest should be left out of the ROM and installed to a storage card leaving precious device ram for operation and display.

I have been cooking using TMartins modified Calkulin Kitchen and I rarely have issues with RAM.
I have also posted quite a few tweaks recently on how to save even more RAM by making changes to opera:config and email storage.

but if you try to flash a ROM that has a ton of unneeded and superfluous apps included all the tweaks in the world won't matter!

I know everyone likes to load up their phones with a ton of APPs for a coolness factor but the truth is a phone has no coolness factor when you have to reset it after every operation!

Look through your phone (and the kitchen when building) and if you haven't used an app in the last month, leave it out of your ROM and if you want install it to a storage card if possible!

The gimped RAM is easy to deal with provided you make a concerted effort to tailor your ROM towards device only apps and absoloute essentials.