View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 12:34 PM
rainfreak
Gettin' Freaky With It

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: HOW TO: Gain Root Access on CL14 Out-The-Box and Backup/Restore Customizations

From my How To on rooting the Moment:

Once you have downloaded and installed Better Terminal Emulator (from here out I will refer to it as BTE) you can start the app. Then type the following commands, without the apostrophes ('), if you so choose to rid yourself of Sprint's bloatware:
  • Type 'su' and the "$" prompt will change to a "#"
  • Type 'mount -oremount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system'
  • Type 'cd system'
  • Type 'cd app'
* Note: Each command is typed one line at a time. Use the return button on your keyboard to enter each command.

You are now in read/write mode in the apps directory, which means that you can get rid of the Sprint apps and clean up your phone. To backup a file before you remove it, you can type the following (again without the apostrophes):
  • Type 'cat VSuiteApp.apk > /sdcard/VSuiteApp.apk'
The command above tells the system to copy the VSuiteApp.apk file to the root of the SD card, in case we want to install it again later. Then, to remove an app and completely unistall it, type the following (again without the apostrophes):
  • Type 'rm VSuiteApp.apk'
In the two examples above, we copied the VSuiteApp.apk app to the SD card and then removed it from the phone's main memory. VSuiteApp.apk is the app "Voice Control" which is always running. I personally didn't like it, never used it, and hated that it always ran, so it was the first that I removed.

When you are done removing apps that you no longer want, you must type the following, (again without the apostrophes):
  • Type 'mount -oremount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system'
The command above resets the system to read-only and stops you from making bad mistakes.

* Note: You should always remount the system to read-only when you are done.

To make all changes permanent you must reboot your phone. You can also do that from with BTE by typing the following (again without the apostrophes):
  • Type 'reboot'
Here is a complete list of apps that have been removed and do not cause adverse side effects to your phone:

amazonmp3_1.4_standard_signed.apk - Amazon store to buy music (I removed it)
Bejeweled.apk - Bejeweled demo (I removed it so that I could install the full version)
com.handson.h2o.nfl.apk - Sprint NFL (I didn't have it)
Email.apk - email client (I left it)
nascar09_prod.apk - Sprint Nascar (I removed it)
SprintTVWidget.apk - Sprint TV Widget (I removed it)
Sprint_App_Updater.apk - Sprint's updater for their apps and who knows what else (I removed it)
VSuiteApp.apk - Voice Control (I removed it)
Weather.apk - Weather Channel (I removed it)

You can also type 'ls' (without the apostrophes) in BTE when you are in the /system/apps directory and get a list of all apps there. I actually ran into a slightly different name for Sprint TV and after listing the contents of the directory I knew the name so that I could go ahead and remove it.

Found here.