View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Primenall
Regular 'Geeker

Primenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Let's speed up My Internet

Change your DNS server to OpenDNS

Do at your own risk, in the first hack you would normally delete the HTC_CM_Guardian.lnk from the Startup folder so HTC_CM_Guardian.exe won't start. Normally upon startup it will start and change back your DNS settings that we are going to change. HTC_CM_Guardian.exe sets your internet settings back to Sprints settings constantly. It starts everytime the Touch starts.

I couldn't find the HTC_CM_Guardian.lnk startup link in the \windows\startup folder on my Touch as it is on the Mogul so the Touch is starting the
HTC_CM_Guardian.exe from somewhere else, upon startup.

So since I couldn't stop it from starting I had to overwrite it with a inert file.

We are first going to copy the original HTC_CM_Guardian.exe file from \device\windows to a safe place for future use if ever needed. If you ever have trouble just copy the original back to \device\windows and soft reset or just execute it from wherever you saved it.

Next we are going to take a small inert file on our device and rename it to HTC_CM_Guardian.exe and then move it to the \device\windows folder on our touch and confirm overwrite (use Resco or similar to overwrite) so the real HTC_cm_guardian won't start.

Soft reset

Now for the actual settings change to Speed up browsing with OpenDNS:

Go to Start>Settings>Connections>Manage existing connections

Select SprintPCS, then Edit...

Hit Next and Next again, then click Advanced...

Under Servers tab select Use specific server address

Enter the following:

DNS: 208.67.222.222

Alt DNS: 208.67.220.220

Hit OK then Finish

Soft reset

When you first reconnect to the internet it will ask you for name\pass......well just leave the name and pass blank and check the box to remember.

Next are a few other Edits that I got from another website and they seem to have made a very noticeable difference, without any side effects for me.
The first ones are just changed values and then the others you create an entry, just "create a new DWORD value"

HKLM\Comm\Tcpip\Parms\
TcpMaxConnectRetransmissions = dword: 6
TcpWindowSize = dword: 256960

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings
MaxConnectionsPerServer = dword: 00000010

Create the following DWORD value in this directory (the 0 in "0server" is a number)

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings
MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server = dword: 00000020

In the following directory create all 3 DWORD values

HKLM\Comm\Tcpip\Parms\
Tcp1323Opts = dword: 1 (O before pts is the capital letter o)
TcpMaxDupAcks = dword: 2
EnablePMTUDiscovery = dword: 1

My Internet is sooooooooooo Frickin Fast now, really

I have included a "fake" HTC_CM_Guardian file to put on your phone in the windows file, it's just the PPST.dll file from Getspc renamed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip HTC_CM_Guardian.zip (70.6 KB, 654 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by Primenall; 01-10-2008 at 03:12 AM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.