View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 01:30 PM
answerman
PPCGeeks Regular

answerman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro (RAPH800)

Please don't take this as a n00b post... I've been around here for the last 4 years or so (I did the 6700/6800/Touch Pro sequence like a lot of us), but I've been fairly quiet since I got my Touch Pro, just running the stock ROM. My previous two phones were tweaked/customized to within an inch of their lives though... starting with HelmiC's work on the 6700 and going right through most of DCD's ROMs, while being quite involved in the projects involving the unlocking of the GPS chip on the HTC phones.

I got my wife a Droid Eris for Christmas, and I've been pretty impressed with it. So, the idea of getting Android running on the Touch Pro definitely is interesting. I've been following this thread when I've had time, and I have a couple of questions aimed primarily at Makkonen. If these were asked earlier in the thread, please accept my apologies.

First, and most important... Makkonen, with your experience working with this project, do you see the ultimate goal of actually running Android as the native OS being a possibility? Are there hardware differences between the Touch Pro and Droid Eris (using another HTC phone as an example) that would prohibit it? I'm not as knowledgable about the phone hardware as I am with desktop CPUs, but to me a stopping point would be if the actual core OS directives were "hard coded" into the chipset. With the ability to flash the chipsets, I would think that even if this was the case it could be overcome.

Secondly, regarding the battery issues: is the battery truly being depleted at the rate Android is reporting, or is it an issue with the driver (or whatever Linux uses) reporting incorrectly? Has anyone done a test using some equivalent of ACBPowerMeter for WinMo to actually gauge the rate of battery discharge in mA per hour? Using some rough numbers, if a 1300mAH battery is being depleted in 4 hours, that means a constant drain of over 300mAH. Has anyone verified this?

Finally, regarding the touchscreen: again using my previous comparison, the Droid Eris uses a capacitive screen, while the Touch Pro uses a resistive screen. Is that a hardware difference? Meaning, are we trying to make a resistive screen "act" like a capacitive screen? That would explain a lot of the sensitivity issues.

This project looks interesting, and I learned never to say "never" a long time ago... people all said that WinMo 6 would never run on the 6700, and I was there the night that HelmiC "virtually" came into the room and unveiled his work. We've come a long way... and if there is anything I can do to assist, let me know.

For generally helpful stuff like my SID finder, Alltel PRLs, and more of my rants and observations on the world in general, visit http://www.the-answerman.com.
This post has been thanked 1 times.