View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 12:14 AM
DLCPhoto
Regular 'Geeker

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Would you abandon TP2 for Verizon's Skype ability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
I'm having a hard time believing ekit's prices! They're charging USD109 for a Mexican TelCel SIM that I can buy for 400 pesos (roughly USD30) and that come with 150 pesos credit. Outrageous.

I didn't see any SIMs there that had USD0.19/minute incoming calls on a US number. The lowest I could find was considerably more than that at USD0.39 (it says "free for family to call" but then says there's a 0.39/minute surcharge).

It's no help on Verizon, but Sprint offers a Canada Roaming option that's $2.95/month and makes all calls USD0.20/minute. I did a lot of searching, and buying the cheapest local prepaid SIM in Montreal was going to cost considerably more than that per minute no matter how many or how few calls I made or received.
Check out their Ebay store - it's much cheaper than what shows on their website. Here's a link to what I purchased:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ekit-USA-SIM-car...item20add40c84

You have to read through all the fine print, but basically incoming calls are free, but if someone calls you through your U.S. number (rather than your International number), it's $.19/minute.

For my purposes anyway, it's a fairly good deal.