View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 04:02 PM
zcarman
Lurker

zcarman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WinMo to Android?

Ok, I'm sure that there are a million people asking this question right now, but I have done all the homework and it seems like I would be missing out on some fun stuff - without having to hack the phone...

Currently on VZW Touch Pro2 running stock 6.5... But very familiar with unlocking SPL's, flashing, etc... We were thinking of saving $90 a month by switching to - ahhh - Sprint. I know, scary! But it's alot of money - and frankly, where I'm at the coverage is pretty darn good.

So, my first thought was to go with 2 TP2's on Sprint, until I saw the magical price tag of $800 for two devices (get $300 back in rebates and credit) but still $500 for 2 TP2's - and my wife hates the camera on mine...

Then I saw the Moment $400 for 2 with $300 in rebates and credit - looks good, but what the heck does Android do differently? Please answer if you have experience with the following questions...

1) I use Outlook to run my business communications and my scheduling - I understand I can get Google Sync to sync this online to my Google Account and it auto updates my phone... Anyone using this and does it work well?

2) Contacts - Same story on Google Sync?

3) Can you tether without rooting - like the ICS cab on WinMo - yet or is someone working on that for the future possibly? This is by no means a deal breaker, but it's nice to have the option when you are in the middle of nowhere to jump online to pull info from a website - like forwarding PDF contract links and such.

4) How does it handle multiple email addresses - I currently have 6 pulling on WinMo (3 @ 5 min, 1 @ 15 min and 2 @ 30 min) - I have used WinMo for ever, but also had a about a year and a half stint with Blackberry. Outlook mobile has always made sense to me, so BB land was a bit of a change. Is Droid closer to Berry or Outlook or something totally different?

5) Screen resolution... My Storm has 480x360 resolution and looks great. These are slightly under and not nearly where my TP2 is at. Does anyone notice after a week or so?

6) No installs to SD cards for apps? Seriously? How much internal memory do these have (Hero and Moment) and how tough is it to root the device to install to SD cards?

7) As I mentioned above, the camera is pretty important. Does the Moment have a decent camera or is it el-sucko? Is there an option to unlock more features (like the 'enable all camera modes' cab on the TP2?)

That's my starting 7.. Any input you have would be appreciated!