View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 11:46 AM
DLCPhoto
Regular 'Geeker

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Would you abandon TP2 for Verizon's Skype ability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdnmatt View Post
It works over Verizon's 3G now and when using SIM cards when traveling as long as you have a data package on the SIM. I don't think that the feature is going to go anywhere for exisiting phones. Verizon never has blocked specific addresses, so I don't think they'll start now. Especially since a WM wasn't one of the listed compatible devices.

I hate that they put this out like such a revolutionary idea. I've been using Skype since my 6700.
Thanks for the reply.

I just checked and you're right - Skype works fine on my VZW TP2 with just 3G and no WiFi. I thought I had tried this once before and it didn't, but something else must have been going on.

When I travel, I subscribe to Skype's Unlimited calls to US/Canada for $2.95 for the month I'm gone - I can then call home as much as I want when WiFi is available, for negligible cost.

And I've just purchased an EKit SIM card, which will give me a U.S. number for my family to call me, and my rate for those incoming calls is only $.19/minute in the places where I'm traveling, which is also quite reasonable for when WiFi isn't available.