acarnut
N00b

acarnut is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do it over IP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake View Post
Ive heard about people doing this with PDAs. Is it possible to turn the i760 into a universal remote to control a TV, home theater, etc.
I can think of several ways to do it, but it will never be as good as say, going to universalremote.com and buying a MX-850. Those are sooo nice.

One way to do it is with a slingbox. I use a pro to control two bell expressvu satellite PVRs and a XBOX running XBMC. I have a spare input and that bank of buttons could be programmed to control the receiver.

Or remote desktop into your home computer and run something like the software from www.wdpsoftware.com (among many others) that makes your home computer the universal remote.

Or (and I'm gonna try this one) the big daddy of solutions, using a Crestron processor with the PDA support to turn your WM device into a programmable wireless touch panel. Crestron makes products designed to integrate and control everything from signage to theatres; unfortunately the cheapest processor combined with the PDA license is just over US$1000 list. Oh, and you’ll need a Crestron programmer to make the thing work. But, with creative programming, you could control anything by IR or RS-232, with feedback. Query the plasma/projector to see if you left it on? control the house lights? Maybe even my Digitrax-controlled HO model train set....

I have a larger processor (on loan to a client at this moment) and as a AV consultant (and Crestron programmer) I may get the PDA license for free. Hmmmm...