View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 04:51 PM
nostromo
Lurker

nostromo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi Ga. Medic. Thanks for this quick tutorial. This is great! I have been looking for something like this for the past couple of days.

I am completely new to the 6700 arena and wanted to double check some things before I decide to go ahead with the update.

1. I have a Sprint PPC 6700. That is known as the Apache right? I just want to make sure that I download the correct files.

2. I have not registered it with Sprint yet. I bought it used and was thinking of updating it first then transferring the phone number to it. Is this recommended or should I transfer the number first?

3. I followed your instructions to find the bootloader version and mine did not say USB at the top. It says Serial and at the bottom it says v1.00 not .02 or .04 as you mentioned in your post. I am assuming because it was not connected to the computer at the time. Which brings me to my next question.

4. Installing Active Sync....I am assuming that needs to be done at the very beginning...right?

5. You mentioned dropping the kitchen and OEM files to the C directory. Is that the recommended directory on the computer or on the device? By logic, I understand that the kitchen needs to be on the computer...obviously to run it, and am assuming same applies to the OEM file.

6. One thing I am having a hard time understanding is that when I think of a computer for instance, I don't think of the OS stored in the ROM. How is it that the PPC stores the OS in the ROM instead?

Sorry for asking so many questions. As I mentioned I am really new to this and do not want to screw up my device on the first try. I am very interested however in doing this and getting rid of the crap that sprint puts on the device.

Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon. I am really psyched about updating my device.

Happy holidays.