View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 03:38 PM
champ052005
Regular 'Geeker

champ052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchamp052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchamp052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchamp052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to champ052005
Re: Google imposes 350.00 ETF on top of carriers

I really think there should be more regulations imposed by the FCC regarding the cell phone industry.

I loved how the FCC contacted Verizon about their new $250 ETF for "advanced" devices. The case is still going on, but I would love for the FCC to stop Verizon dead in their tracks.

As far as more regulation, why is a specific cell phone manufacturer imposing ETFs? That to me makes no sense at all. People argue that ETFs are so high because the cell phone carrier is trying to re-coup lost money because of discounted phones. Well what I dont get is the fact that it costs google $175 to make the Nexus One. (Read it in an article, dont have the link, sorry. I think there is a forum in PPCGeeks.) So when this phone comes out, I cant see T-Mobile selling this device for under $150. So once again, I have no idea where this ETF is coming from at all. (And yes I know Google needs to make a profit too.)

Another issue (a little off topic) that does not get any news coverage is text messages. Text messages (without a plan) costs $.20 on Sprint but it is a wide known fact that it costs carriers virtually nothing to send them in their systems. Yet, unlimited text messaging plans are continuing to rise almost every year it seems.

More regulation is needed within the cell phone industry. The only way I see this happening is if more awareness is raised to it.