View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Mutiny32
Halfway to VIP Status

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32
Re: Touch pro 2 usb defect thread

I really haven't heard of any huge complaints about it, but I had noticed that the socket isn't as snugly fit to the body of the phone as previous devices from HTC. I also immediately noticed that HTC changed suppliers for the sync/charge cables. This is evident from the entire design has changed from piano finish covers and flexible wire coating to flat-black connectors and a more rigid wire covering. While it seems to be a higher quality cable, I have noticed one flaw that can damage PCB to socket soldering; the exUSB "barrel" is about 3-4 mm too long and stays exposed when plugged into the phone. This is a BIG no-no and it is usually the leading cause of power socket breakage on laptops. This is because the plastic body is designed to be a supporting structure flush against the body of the device with the socket to act as tension relief for the metal connector so the soldering will not break off of the PCB inside the device.

That being said, I have indeed been noticing that sometimes my USB connection will flap with the phone when I'm moving it. Not a huge nuance yet, but these problems only get worse and eventually cause the socket on the phone to fail.

I really wondered why the phone didn't come with the newly agreed-upon Micro-USB connector for universal charge and sync standard for devices.