Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Sailrace is keeping up the good workSailrace is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Thinking of coming back -Hero to Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by master4g View Post
Hello. I asked this on another thread, but then I saw yours and thought you might be able to answer my question better.:

Personally, Here are the things that are holding me back (from moving over to another OS from WM): I have gotten pretty comfortable with some of the apps which are available for WM, the main ones being:
1. IGo 8 for Text to speech, turn by turn GPS(or any good alternative in that case..like tomtom).
2. WMWifirouter to creat a wireless hotspot
3. Browsers, browsers,and fast browsers (Opera Mobile and Opera Mobile with turbo, and skyfire)
4. A solid SIP keyboard like TouchPal (I think this might be available for android now)
5. Magicall ( so i can train my phone to not ring during certain pre-set times of the day)
6. Don't really play games, but SPB Brain evolution is nice once in a while.

Hardware wise: I small phone with a front facing qwerty would be ideal. I am looking forward to the HTC Trophy which is supposed to come out in 2010.

I think I am ready to move on from WM as the lag really bugs me, but can someone convince me and assure me that the above apps have substitutes on the other side of the river.
I can't speak to all of these as i only had the phone for 3 weeks. But:

1) Until 2.1 comes out with Google Navigation, the best option i found was actually the Sprint Telenav built in, and since you have to be on an everything data plan, it's basically included.
2) There is a WIFI Tether program if you are willing to root your Hero
3) I think that the android browser was excellent, and the pinch to zoom provide much better control than on the diamond's resistive screen.
4) The keyboard on the Hero takes some getting used to. It's excellent, but you need to be pretty accurate with your typing. But once you get it, it's great. And its word prediction is the best i've seen. however, there are some lag issues with it if you have tactile feedback on, or have things running in the background.
5) Not sure...i didn't really look for anything like this, but i would imagine there is an app that would handle this.
6) I don't play games either - for me its a business phone, so i can't be much help here.