View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 11:17 PM
cptok
PPCGeeks Regular

cptok is keeping up the good workcptok is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: text messages from the future Y2KX issue

Here's my take on this. The "issue" seems to be with the SMS gateways putting an incorrect sent time stamp on the SMS (relatively well confirmed at this point). Just like email - where you can decide if you want the "received" column to be when it was sent by sender or received on your server - SMS clients do the same thing.

It's my bet that in fact, with the possible exception of T-Mo, ALL SMS messages actually have the bad time stamp from the gateways for the "sent time", but that it is the SMS clients use of received time rather than sent time making the difference as to whether it is an "affected device".

So it comes down to what the client does. Verizon stock ROM's appear to have default of using received timestamp - so no problem. Same for other devices and OS's. Cooked ROM's like Mighty do not have that reg entry and so were using sent time, and nobody paid much attention to this little difference - until all hell broke loose on 1/1/16!

It is a valid and healthy debate as to whether it is more valuable to use received time or sent time. In the email world, this has been debated a lot - and yet few people actually know which one they are using. In Outlook Express - the default is "Received" - i.e. the time it hit your server inbound. But "Sent" is a non-default option you can put in there and display if you wish by customizing the columns.

Personally - I don't care much which one is displayed. Although, at the moment, I wildly prefer to display "Received" time!! Once the carriers fix whatever gateway bug was malforming the sent date, we will then have that choice to keep the reg entry, or delete it and go back to sent time. In the meantime - I don't see this as a Windows issue as such - but rather a nice feature that windows actually allows configuring the display of either the sent time or the received time.

I might be wrong on this one - but I'll test tonight with a non-windows phone. Turn off the device so that it delays the SMS message a few minutes. Then turn on and see what time displays. I'm betting on Symbian it's the received time..... Possibly so on Android as well. In which case, those devices would not display the problem - although the sent time field may still be just as wrong on those "unaffected" devices.

So I very much agree that the current "reg fix" is not a fix for the real problem. That will be the gateway providers fixing the sent timestamp. But then... once the carriers really do fix this - look at what we've figured out! We now know that we can configure our incoming timestamps on SMS just the way we choose via a simple reg setting.

Last edited by cptok; 01-02-2010 at 11:32 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.