View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 12:56 PM
zay1967
N00b

zay1967 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Anyone running Jeyo and Office 2010 Beta?

I figured out the access violation issue, you were on the right track concerning the manifest file. Not sure how many hard drives you have, but if you have more than one, create a folder called jeyo or whatever you want, and install jeyo to that folder. You can even create a folder on the c drive if you want and install it there. Pre vista apps Now I just need to get the smsexpress to start on my phone. This is a bit long, but I will try to make the explanation of what is causing the access violation issue as it relates to the manifest file.
Microsoft introduced the User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista, which is also present in Windows 7. Among other components it also contains a feature called filesystem virtualization. Essentially it remaps reads/writes for certain files to other paths. The most important protected path we have to deal with is Program Files.

Let's assume the protected path is C:\Program Files.

A manifest basically tells Windows how aware the program is about the recent Windows versions. And it tells Windows about the privileges the application requires.

A program without manifest is run in the context of a standard user (NOT the currently logged on user). Filesystem virtualization is applied to such a program.

If the program is installed in C:\Program Files\Program, and tries to write a file into it's directory, the file will not go into that directory, but into another, in this case C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Pro gram Files\Program.

This is totally transparent to the older program and the user.
This post has been thanked 1 times.