View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 01:08 AM
krohnjw
Regular 'Geeker

krohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
App for traditional VM notification with Google Voice VM

Anyone intrested in a simple app that will intercept incoming google voice SMS messages and apply them to the traditional VM notification (as well as deliver the SMS)? I enjoy the "visual voicemail" feature but missed the notification on the home screen. So I wrote a quick POC that does this quite well and didn't know if anyone else would be interested in a similar thing. I enjoy being able to see the number of VMs on the home screen instead of having to head to the text messages and take a look for VM texts.

If there's enough interest I could clean it up (make a friendlier GUI) and expand it to handle incoming emails as well (I assume not everyone uses SMS transcribe) if that's something that enough people would like to see.

Currently it does the following:
Intercept SMS messages and search based on VM number (uses default VM number programmed or a configurable number if you haven't set the VM number in windows mobile to the google voice number) and message opening text.
If a new voicemail notification is found it increments the unread voice mails.
Also allows for clearing of vm count.

It registers an event handler so that the app is invoked when the msg is received and does not need to run in the background constantly and chew up CPU/battery.