View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 08:18 AM
nikki2beeps
PPCGeeks Regular

nikki2beeps is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am looking into this myself but have really hit a dead end. Now don't quote me on this but this is how I understand it. With this device as well as most htc devices the ram is actually on disk on chip from mSystems. The disk on chip is basically similar to a processor in that it uses a die or multiple dies on a micro pcb. This was chosen because of its ability to do XIP or execute in place processes.This poses 3 major problems. 1)The availability of a replacement or donor chip just isn't feasable or cost effective. The only place I would be able to get one at this time would be to salvage one from a damged unit where the MoBo of the phone was already defective. 2) Even with my fairly advanced soldering skill the mSystems chip would require at least a complete hot air rework station and the correct stencil for the ball grid array of that mSystems chip. 3) Even if I have all the hardware in place someone (other than myself) would have to modify the software to correctly use the new memory addresses of the new chip.
Now if I am incorrect in any of this information please feel free to let me know, correct, or add to anything I've stated here. I would love to learn as much as I can about this subject as I love to know how and why I cant get away with things.That and I already plan on getting my rework station after the holidays.