Thread: New Phone.
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 06:40 PM
abrigham
Regular 'Geeker

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham
Re: New Phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldehoyos View Post
You'll surely get lots of hits on this and many different answers. I would say don't get the Touch Pro on Verizon. That phone was crippled by big red and has half the Ram of other TPs. It also had a few other crippling issues.
+1 on this... I have the Sprint version (which is identical to the Alltel version). You will get a lot of people telling you different things - some saying don't get it, others saying do.

One thing to consider - the TP has been declared by Sprint to be their most problematic device with the highest service rate of any smartphone (or maybe even of any phone). It has inherent keyboard issues (bad design on the cable causes it to flake out). It has a tendancy to stop charging if you have it plugged in and are using the data or other radios at the same time (i.e. plugged into car charger and using internet based navigation like Google Maps or TeleNav) because it gets too hot. Also, the chrome cracks and flakes off and the navigation pad on the front doesn't stay flush. I've personally experienced all but the keyboard issues, the last two items of which are primarily cosmetic and have never affected the performance of my phone (I'm one of the lucky few that is still on my first Touch Pro). A lot of people on the forums have experienced the keyboard issue and have gone through several devices.

Now, that being said, I've been perfectly happy with my Touch Pro and as I said am still on my first one. I love how easy it has been to flash and customize my ROM, I've found ways around the overheating issue, and just overall love the way the thing runs. I personally am struggling over whether or not to move up to a TP2 - I like the bigger screen, but no flash is kind of a deal breaker for me, I use the one on my TP a LOT (mostly as a flash light, not for taking pics... lol)