View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 03:56 PM
GRTK_Brandon
N00b

GRTK_Brandon is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: What are your top 5 apps?

I use a lot of apps previously mentioned, so I'm going to take the time and list a few apps I use that haven't been listed yet. They're in alphabetical order (and all are free).

Astrid - It's a free to do list with a pretty simple and straight forward interface. You don't have to navigate through any sub-menus to create a new task, and you can color code them by importance along with other options. Check them off to delete as you complete them. Comes with a widget similar to stock calender widgets and allows syncing with your RTM account.

aTrackDog - another simple app that compiles all your apps and checks for updates quickly rather than scrolling through your downloaded apps in the market. Something to note - you still have to install the update from the market. aTrackDog just links you to the apps marketplace link. Would be nice to see an "update all" feature (with permission, of course).

Buzz Deck - This app is in beta, and doesn't work as efficiently as it could, potential is definitely there. Short and to the point - app allows you to personalize a set of "cards" you can swap between and view when the app opens. You can use it as a rss reader (google reader), your Facebook, YouTube, and much more. If you like to stay connected on the go, this is a great app to use for one-stop results.

Dolphin Browser - This one has been mentioned, but it's a great alternative to the native browser. Well... hey, it's actually better. Too many features to go into detail, but they've just added "pinch and zoom", has a neat tabs system, fast, has gestures (similar to Firegestures on Firefox), and much more.

Home Switcher - very basic app that allows you to set a default home if you use different home apps from time to time. The perk of this app is normally when you have different home apps, pressing the home button always asks which home you want to go to, allowing you to set a default. Well, if you set a default then the only way to change it is to dig through menus and settings to reset the default home. Way too much hassle. This app allows you to set the default home, and automatically resets the home button to go to the new default home. Hassle free.

My Coupons - it's a widget that compiles a list of coupons. It's reliable and perfect for budget shoppers. Especially with the holidays creeping up on us so fast.

Pandora - it's Pandora on your mobile phone.

Ruger SR9 - perfect way to vent your frustrations while sitting in heavy traffic. Just kidding, don't do this.

Shazam - a music identifier app that works a little too well. It's scary how accurate it is.

TasKiller - pretty straight forward task manager. Has two widgets: kill all, and a bar displaying current number of free ram, icons for running apps, and also a kill all. Was updated to support ads in favor of unlocking all of the paid features. You can ignore as many apps as you want.

TuneWiki - an alternative music player to Android's native music player. Pulls lyrics from a data base that is displayed on the screen in real time (corresponds with current lyrics being sung in the song karaoke style).

Twidgit Lite - a simple twitter widget that displays the latest tweet from the people you follow. Perfect for the non-twitter fanatic. Opening the widget shows all tweets to which you can respond to, re-tweet, create a new tweet of your own, etc. It also helps that the widget background is transparent.

WeatherBug - a weather app with very detailed views of current weather, 10-day forecast, maps, weather alerts, and camera images from your city.

Where - this is basically a location based app. It's an all-in-one source that allows you to view weather, news, reviews of local businesses, gas prices, movies, traffic, and more. Allows you to communicate with people in your area on the WHERE Wall. I haven't played with this app too much yet, so I'm going to leave it at that. Feel free to check it out.

Like others, I could continue for a while longer, but I'm not. Most of the apps I have listed are used for entertainment purposes. I haven't had the chance to test out some of the more technical apps yet, but I'm definitely going to!

Btw, let's throw in useful widgets also. Be sure to separate them. I'll edit this list to only contain apps, and I'll create another post for widgets when I get a bit more time.

Last edited by GRTK_Brandon; 11-25-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Edited the Home Switcher description because it made no sense after I re-read it
This post has been thanked 1 times.