View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Whotahn
H the F Up!RED DRAGONS!!

Whotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: transfer rom from one Touch Pro to another

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.G View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (Windows Mobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35166; U; en) Presto/2.2.1)

a good backup app and Sashimi? I don't know of a way to 'ghost' one phone's image to another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam0112 View Post
I've done this successfully on two replacement Touch Pros using SPB Backup. I made a backup of my original phone to a memory card, flashed the same ROM onto my replacement, then restored the backup....worked fine.
There is no way of "ghosting" the whole phone set up, as the other user mentioned. It takes some time but you can set sashimi up to run after a ROM flash and make the phone darn near what it was before. Sashimi can also be activated during the UC setup stage during a fresh flash of a ROM that supports UC. SPB backup can be used as well but is not as efficient at backing everything up, such as a ROM. You can copy or backup pmi info and system settings, and then restore them after a flash, but I have not seen or read anywhere about SPB being able to completely back up a system, ROM and all.

I wouldn't recc. going that route even if someone figured out how. Reflashing a ROM requires the swapping and rewriting of system files and can be "bugged" by miswritten information, called a "bad flash". This is a common occurance in the custom ROM flashing world that is avoided by clean flashing of custom ROMs with a series of hard resets and soft resets often called the "Flash Dance" to ensure data is written to the RAM properly from ROM to ROM. If a backup program were allowed to do this system flashing and writing while backing up info it could cause major write errors....just what I have gathered on the subject....it gets confusing.

I would reccomend reading into programs like UC, sashimi, SPB, PIM, SPrite and so forth to see what looks most friendly for your set up. I personally now use sashimi for EVERYTHING. It is swell http://www.winmo-experts.com/index.php. There are a few threads with great sashimi info and walk through videos, just earch Sashimi and user Murducky here at ppcgeeks.

Good Luck, once you get it figured out it makes flashing even more addictive!
This post has been thanked 1 times.