View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 03:02 PM
DaveTN
Unlimited is um, limited
Threadstarter

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: "My Location" and Weather Not Working? Possible cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro View Post
Umm, forgive my ignorance, but what is an Airave and why would you want to have one?
An Airave is a device that Sprint will either sell you or give you(depending on your circumstances) that acts like a mini cell tower in your house. It transmits a cell signal within about a 300 foot radius for cell phones that are not able to pick up a signal/ in a dead zone. It then sends the call over a broadband line and rebroadcasts it via a local cell tower.

Long story short; I have a weak signal outside of my house and no signal inside my house. I asked Spirint for an airave and they said I would have to pay $100.00 for it and 4.99 a month for the service. Since I was at the end of my contract I decided to go with Verizon which picks up better in my house. Sprint offered the airave and the service for free so I stayed with them.

@Killabytz
Done the QuickGPS thing. I get great GPS reception and can use google maps etc in my house but the location service (IMHO) that HTC uses for things like the weather location is based on triangulation or some means from the physical cell towers and not gps.

I verified my theory by trying to update my weather (location based, not preselected) by trying to update at several locations in my house with the airave turned on. No joy.

Turned the airave off and moved around my house until I was able to pick up a weak signal and hit update and guess what? My weather updated. Turned the airave back on and waited for it to cycle and then did the update and it would not update. So, it has to be the airave.

David