View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 12:56 PM
KillAByteZ
Regular 'Geeker

KillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: "My Location" and Weather Not Working? Possible cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Are you having problems with "my Location" and weather not updating properly? I MAY have an answer to the problem after several days of observation.
I have been switching between stock, NRG and Indagroove ROMS and the problem is not ROM specific. I spent my entire day off work the other day trying to get my location settings to work - well "entire day" may be a stretch. However, once I left my house, Location started working fine. Came back home and tried a manual sync and again got the message that I could not update my location settings.

The problem? I have an Airave (femtocell) at home. Apparently, the location service uses location settings from the actual cell towers. Since the Airave uses GPS (in order to comply with e-911 services) to broadcast its location, it does so in a manner different from what the cell towers tell our phones.

So, when I am in my house, the location specific services such as weather, do not work. Go a couple hundred feet from my house and it works.

GPS signal pick up fine inside my house so I can use things like iGuidance, bing and google maps. But, from what I understand how HTC's Location settings work, it pulls the info from the cell tower.

So if you are having problems getting your location services to work and have an Airave (or even if a neighbor may have one), go for a short ride or walk and see if Location updates.

Not sure if you are associated with an Airave (ie, a neighbor may have one that you don't know about), go into your dialer and dial *99 send. If you hear a tone and the message "you are now within airave coverage", that is probably why location is not working.

Just an observation, so if you have any input or if my idea worked for you, please let me know.

David
YOu need to run QUICKGPS in order for it to work. Ive read on here and Ive done it myself. THe ROM im currently usin doesnt have QUICKGPS so IM lookin for a QUICKGPS cab so I can run it.