View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 PM
ThreeFaces

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: THREEFACES' Walk-Through: Installing/Customizing the latest NRG ROM [2.5 Edition]

OTHER STUFF – known issues/bugs/common problems/misc. [not all ROM specific]

LANDSCAPE GIVES ME A BLANK SCREEN– There is currently no landscape support in this port of Manila 2.5 since it was taken from a device with a larger screen [WVGA] and no physical keyboard. If you switch to landscape to type something, in some cases like texting, you may need to return to portrait to regain access to the "send" key, for example.

MY PHONE IS FREEZING UP/SOFT RESET FORCES A HARD RESET – this happened to me the very first time I flashed a custom 6.5 ROM. It sucked…a lot. The worst part was not really getting a clear answer as to what caused it or how best to address it. Ultimately, I tried flashing back to Stock on someone’s recommendation and was able to resolve the problem for good.
Hard reset, flash your device back to a Stock ROM, hard reset, soft reset, flash your device to the custom ROM of your choice, hard reset, soft reset. It seems like a lot of work, and it will take a bit of time to let the device run its customizations, BUT this method will fix your problem and get you back up and running. If you simply flash to another ROM, the problem will likely follow you. It’s worth taking the time to run this method and get the device back on solid footing. After doing so, I’ve never had a lock up. If it doesn’t work for you, please PM me…as far as I can gather, this works every time.

TYPING IN A RECIPIENT’S NAME IN A NEW TEXT MESSAGE BRINGS UP THEIR EMAIL ONLY – If you’re using the HTC Messaging App to set up a new text and you go to type in a recipient’s name into the “To” field, you may notice only contacts with email addresses will be displayed. As a workaround, just type in a recipient’s name, then move the cursor to the messaging field - the system should resolve the name on its own. I can type in “Jim” and it will not display an option, but if I start typing my message it will resolve to “Jim Smith”, assuming I don’t have any other “Jim”s in my address book. In cases where you have multiple “Jim”s, you’ll want to type in their last name for this to work.
[FIX] You can also install the following cab, or make the reg edit manually, so when you go to send a new SMS, hit Menu/Add Recipient and your Contacts will come up.[thanks ahuskins] http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...ostcount=18312 or the cab from MAXX134 HERE.

DIALER IS MISALIGNED - KEYPAD AND END KEYS ARE OFF THE SCREEN - Sometimes the dialer screen seats out of alignment. In tehse cases, you can always use the hardware "send" key to pull up the keypad while in a call, and use the hardware "end" key to end the call. To fix the issue, install this cab HERE.

NO “BACK” BUTTON IN TEXTING APPLICATION/REPLACE “SEND” BUTTON WITH “BACK” – Puts the “back” button where the “send” button is in HTC Texting:
HKCU\Software\HTC\Manila\LSK_Send_Msg set to 0.

TEXTS ARE TAGGED AS "GSM" - install this cab HERE.

INTERNET TAB BOOKMARKS ARE FROM INTERNET EXPLORER NOT OPERA/SETTING QUICK LINKS
You might notice that if you go to set a shortcut on the Internet Tab that the bookmarks displayed are actually from Internet Explorer and not Opera.

While those bookmarks may be from Internet Explorer, they will launch in Opera. Two options for now would be to go into IE and set all of the bookmark pages you want, then set them in Sense for use with Opera.

Or select "Add Favorite" and create a bookmark that way, by typing in the address to the website you want a shortcut for. Again, it will launch in Opera.

You can also get the quick links on the Internet tab to display a preview of the webpage by loading the site up completely in Internet Explorer. If you navigate back to the Internet Tab, you should see a preview image for any quick links you set up. NOTE: not every site will display a preview.

VIBRATE ON CONNECT - Doesn't work on this ROM. As a workaround, you can install a lock screen program like S2U2 [referenced above under the "Lock Screen" section]. In S2U2 Settings, under Feedback, you can enable Vibrate on Call Connect and restore this feature. While I do not have the program to check, I believe you can use PocketShield in the same manner to get this feature back.

MY DEVICE SOFT RESETS WHEN I LOCK ON TO A GPS SIGNAL - this happened to me randomly, so I figured I’d write down how I fixed it, in case someone else gets hit with the issue. For me, I needed to flash a different radio…then I was back up and running. You may want to flash back to a Stock Rom and do that whole dance, but my first trouble shooting attempt would be to reflash or change your radio and see if that helps.

[THIS IS NOW COOKED INTO THE ROM - POSTED FYI] - “SUSPENDRESUME” REG EDIT –
The “#777” edit may help to resolve any issues you might experience with the Dialer [usually slide to answer related problems], In Call Power Manager [for example, if your phone won’t wake up after a call], and will allow calls to be answered while a data connectionis active. It’s important to note, the “#777” edit will not shut your data connection off after a specified amount of time. If you go this route, it’s recommended that you set a key [like a long press of the end key] to kill data manually. NOTE: Using Advanced Configuration to disconnect data after a specified amount of time will reset this registry edit to "GPRS...", which is known to cause issues with the Tachi Dialer's ability to answer calls while a data connection is present.

IMPORTANT NOTE on BATTERY SAVING POTENTIAL: Some users found that turning the data off when it was not “active” didn’t necessarily save them much on battery life and argued that connecting/disconnecting seemed to draw more power than not. Test for yourself. There’s a program cooked in called tBATTERY in START-TOOLS that will give you some slick info on your battery. Here’s some links to a discussion from the thread [thanks AHUSKINS]:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...77#post1158777 and http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...57#post1158957

This reg edit may help with your dialer issues, but will not auto kill your data connection:
1.Suspend Resume Reg Edit:
Start>Tools>Tweaks>Registry Edit >hklm>Comm>ConnMgr>Planner>Settings
-Edit CacheTime to decimal value "60"
(without quotes)
-Edit SuspendResume to "#777"
(without quotes)

NOTIFICATION BUBBLE SHOWS WRONG UNREAD MESSAGE COUNT - This isn't specific to NRG ROM, but something I ran into recently. The issue is that your message notification bubble shows an unread message, but all of your messages are read. Check this to see if it helps:

--Go to the Mail Tab
--Go into the Inbox of one of your accounts
--Along the top bar there is a drop down called "Inbox"...click that to access a list of all of your messaging folders.
--Check each account and folder and clear out any unread messages you see.

What I found was when I stopped using my Outlook Account, it wasn't displayed on the Mail Tab so I couldn't easily access it or see there was an unread message, but it still existed within the device as a default...and in the inbox was an introductory email that the device reported as unread. Using the above method, I was able to browse to the Outlook Account and clear the message.

REARRANGE ICONS IN THE START MENU
–If you don’t like the layout of the START menu, you can also go into \Windows\Start Menu and manually move folders and icons to your liking using Total Commander.

You can also try out reSTART from this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=68864 – this is a more advanced utility that will give you control of the order of items in the Start menu in addition to allowing you to set customized icons. Very cool…super easy to use.

BUTTONS AROUND CENTER BUTTON STAY LIT AFTER SCREEN SHUTS OFF – kind of a random problem, but sometimes the lights for the hard keys will stay lit after the screen times out. To fix this, open your physical keyboard up and close it [this will turn your screen back on], then hit the power button on top of the device to put the device to sleep…all of the lights should shut off.

OPERA CRASHES: you should assign opera cache to Internal Storage, not the Windows Directory.
1.First, you want to clear Opera’s cache, just to ensure it doesn't stay in device memory. Go to Opera Settings-Privacy-Delete cache.
2.Next in the address bar type opera:config – this will open up an options screen
3.Scroll down to user prefs. Under user prefs find cache directory4 and change “/Windows/” to “/Internal Storage/” (don’t change anything else).
4. Scroll all the way to bottom and save. Give it a couple seconds to initiate, then close opera and open it again. Now all cache will be assigned to Internal Storage in the opera9 folder which has just been created. This should speed up Opera and help with crashes. Some users said they moved the opera9 folder to their Storage Card and saw an improvement, so that is an option as well.

[SHOULD BE COOKED INTO THE ROM NOW]
ENABLE DATA ROAMING AND OTHER PHONE SETTINGS -
[thanks SFHUB]
To get more options:
Download this ZIP FILE from SFHUB
Extract the “PhoneSettings” files to the Windows directory, then reboot. If you get an error that you cannot overwrite those files, reboot your device and try copying them over as soon as it boots back up…it should take.

There is also a folder in the zip file with a reg edit that you can import – go into START-TOOLS-TWEAKS-Registry Editor and select the first icon at the bottom of the screen to get to the “Import” option. This reg edit will make the Roaming Option a bit easier to distinguish [“Sprint Only”, “Automatic” default, and “Roam Only”].

NEED FOR SPEED FIX [rootlinx]
Here you go.
I upped this file but it does not include the game.
It is only the files you need to make the game work with Gsen.

DOWNLOAD

I will not supply the game as it is not freeware and only cost 10 bucks.
This will turn the game into a Gsen game.

( By editing the Config.xml you may be able to turn other games or apps into Gsen games or apps )

Here is the How to.
-------------------------------------------------------------

- Install Need for Speed Undercover

To get it working with Gsen:

Extract everything from the NFSU Gsen.zip
- Install GPad
- copy Config.xml into Gpad folder in program files and delete old config.xml file
- Start Gpad
- Then run NFS

--------------------------------------------------------------

NRG rom plays NFS Undercover perfect in Gsen.
Now some of you guys that shy away from this rom because it doesn't play the game can be happy. IT DOES!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT FOLLOWING STEPS – I would HIGHLY recommend updating your PRL when you’re on a stock ROM. It’s suggested that you flash to a stock ROM prior to flashing to new custom ROM, so I would simply do the PRL update during the stock ROM phase. You can screw up your data connectivity by messing with these settings, so please be careful, or you’ll end up on the phone with Sprint Tech Support trying to figure out how your data got knocked out.

UPDATE PRI - http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=77799 - You can check which version you have in START-SETTINGS-SYSTEM-Device Info.
·Install the PPST cab in this thread
·Go into the Windows folder of the device and run PPST.exe
·Select “Yes” [will soft reset when finished]

IMPORTANT NOTES:
1.Running this update changed my custom Start Menu wallpaper to a blue hue [it seems to switch up the Theme]. I was able to restore the default wallpaper on the Start Menu by de-selecting my custom wallpaper as an option. Just a heads up.
2.I updated my PRL [the procedure is below] before running this cab and it seems to have changed my PRL to an older version. Check your device info after installation to make sure everything is good. I simply needed to run the PRL update again after the PPST update.
3.It may take 30s to get a signal after the first boot, but it should normalize afterwards. If you continue to have trouble connecting, follow these steps:
1.Run EPST
2.View info -> M.IP Settings
3.MIP_MODE should be "Mobile IP Only" - change it to "Mobile IP Preferred"
4.OK, OK to restart device
5.run EPST
6.View info -> M.IP Settings
7.MIP_MODE is now "Mobile IP Preferred" - change it back to "Mobile IP Only"
8.OK, OK to restart device. The problem should be solved.

UPDATE PRL [HERE] – I was curious if I could do this on a custom ROM and found a cab to help. SprintPRLPROFILE.cab puts the PRL [not PRI] update icon back in START-SETTINGS-SYSTEM-Update PRL. I did not need my MSL or anything. I ran the cab to install, selected Update PRL from the file location above and it ran fine. You can check what PRL you’re using in START-SETTINGS-SYSTEM-Device Info. NOTE: they do not go in numerical order, so “60653” isn’t necessarily newer than “60651” [just for example]. You should find out what the most current update number is and go from there to see if you’re current.

Last edited by ThreeFaces; 12-18-2009 at 09:55 AM.
This post has been thanked 7 times.