View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Certs
Retired Staff

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It's a little grey, but not really. Take for example the ultimate hacker forum (no name needed). For my 8525, they have all available ROM's listed on their site, available for download. For my 750v, they HAD the Cingular ROM available, but Cingular made them take it down. Probably because Cingular doesn't want you to take a phone that is EXCLUSIVE to another carrier right now and use it for their network. Vodaphone would go crazy also if they found out, probably more than Cingular.

Picsel only sells their product pre-installed. How can they go to Palm and say "pay me to put this on all your devices" if people can go DL it for free? They won't care for that, this is why they make these things. They don't want it on an HTC phone because HTC doers not PAY THEM for it. I can't blame them.

Its pretty clear cell phone companies lose money on phone sales, with the intent of making the money back on your service. They don't lose much, but they don't profit either. This is why you can buy a phone from a different carrier, and if you choose to put a "Cingular" ROM on it then thats fine with them. But its not available yet, so that ROM mentioned earlier is no good. Plus, its a buggy ROM, and they don't want to turn people off ot their phone before its even released.

Same goes for the threading app. I'm surprised it has lasted this long. Unless HTC PAYS palm to put it on their devices, you're taking a product for free that Palm hopes to make a profit on. That may be the reason someone buys a treo instead of a Hermes, you know? Plus its a BRILLIANT program, as you can tell by the lack of other similar products that work properly. Many have treid, but none can replicate. And Palm's app is PERFECT, no CF2.0 required, no need to run in the bkgd, etc.

The more this site grows, the more people are going to notice. That doesn't always mean the right people though. Mike, I know this is all new for you, and I know nothing about running a forum myself, but any advice you need I will try and help you to the best of my ability. I hope taking these things off of the site is action enough, and if you need any help with anything I'm here, and I'm sure most others are as well. "You live and learn, and we still have a lot of living to do!" <-Thats my motto