View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 12:23 PM
hyakku
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

hyakku is keeping up the good workhyakku is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How many of you plan on keeping your TP for a while?

Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
Everyone will probably answer the same thing, I mean think about it. If you are using a tp2 right now then it is probably your main phone right? And I am sure that we all will be looking forward to new handsets in the future, its not like we will keep the tp2 forever.
I didn't mean like NOW as in the immediate present, nor did I mean years from now will you switch.

I should've made it more specific like from Q4 2009-Q2 2010 do you see it being your primary phone. Maybe even a little longer as I feel like a phone should at least last a year after purchase if you have consider future upgrades and think its worth it.

But theres the LEO, various Android systems, eris, rumored TP3, etc. I feel like the LEO or TP 3 may not be worth it though if its just WM with the same things, as the TP 2 doesn't really lack speed or efficiency even on stock (I don't know about yours but my TP2 flies), I think it's just the overall decadence of the WM platform (the way to receive apps, UI, etc) that is stalling this. I was reading a review about a TP 2 and interestingly enough I considered what the review would have been like without three things:

The extraordinary price tag
WM 6.1 (although we can put 6.5 up there)
And the lack of a 3.5 Mm port (more in a sec)

The reviewer was using a TP 2 without a 3.5mm, but knew of others so he included that in his assessment, but essentially they praised the speediness, longer battery life and efficiency of the phone, even with the knowledge that it had the same hardware. They loved the TF3d on it, they actually liked that it was thinner than the TP despite being larger, and while it was slightly thick found it more than doable.

In all aspects the review would have been glowing had it not been for the price tag, which, he accurately pointed out at the time was $350.00 and still basically is for the general public with no know how, causing people to consider literally every other phone (being one of if not the most expensive subsidized phone in the US) before making the purchase, usually choosing another one over price point and popularity over the OS. Bringing up point number 2, despite all the improvements, they particularly had qualms with the aging WM 6.1 platform, which I think we all have problems with. And finally, it was only his carrier specific model that lacked 3.5mm so thats not an issue.

Essentially had this had another OS on it and a $100-$150 less price tag this phone would have probably had a better review than either the original Iphone 2g or 3g, the G1, the Pre, or most other android phones and many of the BBs (including the storm). I confirmed this by looking at other reviews and considered these factors.

So I feel that maybe its not the TP2 thats the problem, its htc's absurd allegiance to MS. I think that's what's more of a motivation for me to switch than the phone itself. I mean, yes we can download and search for thousands of apps on the web, but at this point the pre, android and certainly the iphone have many if not a major portion of the apps on their store as free counterparts that are alot easier to locate.

I think the freedom to download files and whatnot and store them as dragon said is key though, but again, now droid and the pre apparently offer these features as well. I feel as though many of the benefits to a WM platform are very quickly evaporating and leaving us doing more work for what is soon to be the same efficiency in other devices. My problem is that I love the TP 2, and once roms come I'm sure it will be perfect, but the inclusion of an app store, a lower price point and a revamped UI (or Microsoft just ****ing buying TF3D or leasing it from HTC ) with legit graphics drivers would nearly negate the need for Snapdragon. You can watch HD video (besides like 1080p, which still won't run perfectly on a snapdragon), record 30+FPS and more all with just the proper graphics drivers, as most of you familiar with computers know how crucial a driver can be. With these things I almost feel as though the TP 2 and something like the HD2 could be flagships for WM, but instead MS is kind of just dragging their feet.