View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 01:10 AM
Asphyx
Halfway to VIP Status

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC Touch Pro 2 could be Better

Quote:
Ok guys I want to know why HTC making all these new phones but with the same hardware but just different look of the phone? WHY for example the HTC Touch Pro,/2, Snap,Hero,Ozone,Pure,My Touch..comes with
Qualcomm® MSM7600™, 528Mhz ROM: 512MB, RAM: 288MB DDR Why, I know there is the Snap Dragon 1GHZ chip with 32GB memory why they didn't put that in the HTC Touch Pro 2 making that with 1Ghz 16/32GB Version that would be worth the price sprint selling it right.
Well some understanding of how the Cell business actually works would answer your question...

None of us are willing to pay more than $400 for a phone...The carriers know this, the phone manufacturers know this too...

The ACTUAL price of a TP NIB (note not TP2!) is about $600! Verizon used to pay that then sell you the phone for $400 cause they will make the money back on your contract!

The carriers have always subsidized the purchase of phones to make it affordable to you to want to buy and use their services!

Now lets say the TP2 with a 1ghz chip costs $100 more per unit....
Would you pay $500 for it with a 2 year contract? Hell no! Especially if it doesn't have multitouch and a Gig of Ram!

The carriers will only eat so much of the cost of the newer tech and until it has capabilities that will generate more revenue for them they are not going to give you a $700 peice of hardware for $400!

There were virtually no $400 phones until GPS and Mobile Browsing were seen to be new revenue streams for the carrier! A faster Proc will not net them any new revenue so why should they pay more to subsidize that phone?

So bottom line is the manufacturers listen to and make the product their sales team want. And their sales team are really the carriers!

Personally I would have loved to see a 1Ghz proc, More ram and Multitouch! But would I pay $600 for it?

I doubt it!
I doubt you would too!
This post has been thanked 1 times.