View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 12:11 PM
rolandroland
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: give back that TP2 for an Imagio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwaters View Post
I've had my VZW TP2 for almost four weeks but am considering trading it in (within VZW's 30 day return window) for the Imagio. Here's why:

1. The TP2 is a bit thick and heavy for my tastes. According to VZW's website, the TP2 is 4.57" (H) x 2.33" (W) x 0.68" (D) and weighs 6.35 ounces...and the Imagio is 4.65" (H) x 2.43" (W) x 0.55" (D) and weighs 5.2 ounces. So the Imagio weighs less, is slightly wider and higher, and is thinner (because it lacks a physical keyboard).

2. Like an earlier poster, I came from the XV6800 and thought I would be *lost* without a physical keyboard. I had been someone who was firmly convinced that I needed a physical keyboard; however, I've used the TP2's physical keyboard only a handful of times over the last four weeks--the virtual keyboard is *that* good, especially compared to the XV6800. I've written many emails and text messages using just the virtual keyboard. Of course, I haven't written any lengthy notes yet, but I'm not sure having the physical keyboard is worth the extra thickness and weight for its occasional use.

3. The TP2 comes with Windows Mobile 6.1 and the Imagio comes with WM 6.5. An upgrade to WM 6.5 for the TP2 is surely forthcoming, but when? In my experience, WM upgrades never seem as good as having the phone come with with the OS. Of course, the TP2 is so new that perhaps it won't make a difference.

4. The TP2 comes with a 3.2 megapixel camera and the Imagio comes with a 5 megapixel camera--not that either device takes that great of a picture.

Anyway, can anyone else who has tried both devices comment? Are there any other noteworthy differences?

BTW, I upgraded from the XV6800 to the TP2 using VZW's 'new every two' program and ended up paying only $99 for the TP2. Will VZW sock me for swapping phones?
After the buzz of a new phone wearing off I figured I would respond.

1) Regardless of the specs, the Imagio feels like a phone/pda, the TP2 feels like a "device".

2) you'll get used to not having it

3) With large amount of RAM usage on the Imagio without running push internet it makes me wonder if they are going to be able to get 6.5 on the TP2 without disabling push internet in the 6.5 update or clean up their app mem usage. Makes my earlier thoughts of a quick upgrade in doubt.

4) The pictures are better, especially in "normal" light. In dim light it sucks just like the TP2. However you do notice a difference in the extra 2 MP's you would expect. More so when you look at them on the PC than on the phone itself.

I also like having the extra assignable button the on the front so I have a camera button again, very annoying to have to open the camera through the interface.

I did miss having a separate button for shutting off the screen and shutting the phone off. However after I figured out if you lock the screen and throw it in your pocket the screen shuts off quickly. So once you get used to putting it your pocket with the screen on this annoyance goes away.