Threadstarter

trids is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Identify system changes between dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
How do you figure that??

If you make a full system BU right before installing any new app (I ALWAYS do this) & don't like what happens after the install, the system restore returns it exactly how it was previous to the install (you don't lose anything)

~John
I agree .. as long as you decide to uninstall after a very short trial period. But some apps take a few days to evaluate, or even longer, during which time any number of other valuable changes might have occurred (messages, calls, app document updates, etc) ... which is why I'm looking for a selective tool.

In the desktop environment, you can take a snapshot of the filesystem with something like Beyond Compare, which snapshot can be used at any later date to identify changes. This snapshot is not a backup .. it's a collection of filenames and hashtotals .. but when used in conjunction with the comparison GUI of Beyond Compare, you can make informed decisions about what can safely be removed.

My fallback option is to dump my PPC registry and filesystem to my desktop HDD, when I want to take a snapshot; and again later (some days later perhaps) when i want to see what has changed. Then use beyond Compare to identify those changes. But if I can find that elusive selective backup/restore, it would make the whole exercise a lot simpler.

Last edited by trids; 10-12-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typos