View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 04:42 PM
nykd007
Lurker

nykd007 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Retuning the pre and the Diamond

As i have been a lurker more then a contributor I thought i owed something back. In Harvard form no less.

A. The Pre missing the mark. (I'm returning two of them)
Most of us here are looking for applications,serviceability,and durability.
1. The keyboard isn't just too small, it lacks tactile feel.ie, the buttons aren't responsive enough going down or coming up.
2. The access to the keyboard feels flimsy and is loose.
3. While the screen res is great, it is a bit on the small side.
4. The cost is equivalent to that of a net book. when is someone going to come out with a net book that has a built in radio?
5. Sprint and other providers lack the desire to go Open source as in the pre Palm started out on the good path but sprint shut that down! This is evident in their D.O.S. for tethering.
6. While the antenna is nice in size to accommodate reception, it causes polling errors in reaching out to the service. This is why it runs so hot!
B. The Diamond. This phone fails on so many levels.
1.Key board out right sucks!.
2. WiFI What wifi, they hasped it to the EVDO. Top speed is equal to jogging in the rain.
3. Screen size, I can't imagine reading anything on it other then contacts and phone numbers.
4.Keyboard, get a pencil ready for typing everything.
5. Reception is even hampered. The existing Antenna is so small it is almost non existent. They did this to save on battery. Just so happens that it polls constantly due to failure to connect.

I guess what I am really saying is that while everyone in entitled to their own opinion, I am conveying facts. Both these phones fall short of my expectations. Shouldn't R&D use bench marking to develop a baseline to production? I guess with Palm they started down the right track but then made the phone too small. We all want convenience in a comfortable package. perhaps these guys should look into the Ideal sizing first. Personally I don't pocket my phone, I belt hang it. While most people require easy access to their handset, I still use a Blue tooth for call.