PPCGeeks Regular

Biggnaa20 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Biggnaa20 Send a message via Skype™ to Biggnaa20
Re: Jumping ship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post
I currently go back and forth between my Diamond and Pre, though lately I have spent more time with the Pre. It is a great device with a lot of developments and interest spurring from its infancy. As of now, I am so far impressed with the level of customization. More and more tweaks are popping up each day and precentral has officially opened a theme thread with a variety of custom themes to choose from, prethemer has even more. I've had a lot of fun with it so far, and its very stable.

What do you honestly expect? There are now 2 proprietary devices running WebOS, both in their infancy. Updates are not only very necessary due to the lack of or poor implementation of certain features (ie cut, copy, and paste), but easy considering the low number of devices. Compare this to WinMo which is built for likely a hundred devices all with varying screen size, keypad configurations, touch screen vs non-touch screen, etc. Makes frequent updating on the behalf of Microsoft rather difficult.
I do agree that some of the updates are needed due to pushing the product faster than it should have been (Palm execs are on record saying the phone should have been released 6 months after it was). BUT the responsiveness of Palm has still be stellar.

Winmo took 4 years to move from 5 (May 2005) to 6.5 (officially Oct 2009). you be the judge if the improvements in usability of the OS was worth a 4 year wait. For me it wasn't.

I have to disagree with your point about the fact that it took so long because of the number of devices on the market. The customization of Winmo has traditionally fell on the OEM's (think TouchFLo, Touchwiz and other User interfaces) and carriers to implement. Winmo has been focused on creating an OS only. As Ballmer continually says, There will be NO windows phone. So if anything Winmo should be able change faster than the companies that need to upgrade their hardware as well.

nb