View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 PM
ThreeFaces

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: THREEFACES' Killer Walk-Through: Installing/Customizing the latest NRG ROM

MORE HOT CAB INSTALL ACTION – voice command, picture mail, battery enhancements, etc….mostly cab fixes and add-ons.
  1. Inbox Extender.cab – adds an option to “mark all as read” in the email menu options when viewing your inbox. This is actually quite useful.

SPRINT ARCSOFT PICTURE MAIL [UPDATED ARCSOFT to V5.2.1.22 with voice texting] [thanks jakdillard!]
  1. Run the Remove Picture Mail & Arcsoft cab [soft reset must be performed for this to work]. If you get an error that this cab could not be installed, check your Task Manager to see if a picturemail process is running. If it is, stop/kill it. Then install the cab...it should work.
  2. Run Sprint Arcsoft MMS 5.2.1.22 cab [requires soft reset] – this cab was taken from a Diamond2, ported for VGA devices, and set up for Sprint PCS. This updated version of ARCSOFT adds an option to send a voice message as a text. If you are upgrading [and have an older version of ARCSOFT already installed on your device] you MUST run the uninstall cab first….follow this exact procedure.
  3. You should now have picture mail installed. NOTE: picture mail is now part of your regular text messaging – it’s not in a special separate location. Received picture mail will show up in the threaded view along with your other text messages for a given contact…except they’ll have an attachment icon. Click the attachment…view the pic. In the new TouchFlo text screen, click Menu-Reply with MMS to send a pic message to a contact. In the old messaging view, you must start a new text to send voice or picture mail – you cannot attach images or voice into the threaded view as a reply. The last version of Acrsoft may allow for this...here's the cab if you want to try it out: Sprint Arcsoft MMS 5.0.82.79 cab
  4. ADJUST ARCSOFT SETTINGS [larger attachments, screen resolution, etc.]
    ·Go to the Messages Tab
    ·Press “All Messages”
    ·Press “Menu”
    ·Scroll down to MMS OPTIONS
    ·You can change the picture resolution settings here on the first tab
    ·Move over to the Servers Tab
    ·Press The Listed Server [should be SprintMMS]
    You can change the size of mms attachments here [sent and received] .
VOICE COMMAND
[Google Search for these, as I assume they're not freeware]
  1. MSVC1.6.20771 or MSVC 1.6.21725.cab [installs voice command– soft reset is recommended] – I have used both v1.6.20771 and .21725 without any problems, but I do not regularly use Bluetooth with this program, so I cannot confirm which cab works best with Bluetooth [for announcements]. I provided both, so you can figure out which works best for you and your needs.
  2. If you get an error during/after installing the cab, soft reset, and check if it installed. If not, try it again until you get it – sometimes it seems like the install failed, but it works fine after a soft reset.
  3. Set preferences in START-SETTINGS-PERSONAL-Voice Command - to stop announcements of texts, events and phone calls, if you’re not into that. …or enable it, if you are.
  4. While you’re in that section [START-SETTINGS-PERSONAL], go into “Buttons” and assign a key to launch Voice Command. I set the long press of the send key to launch the voice prompt. “Send (Hold)”.
  5. Check Voice Command – activate it using whatever button you just assigned, and then speak something like “Call Jim” or someone from your contacts to see if it’s responding. If not…do over!

[OPTIONAL] PHOTO ALBUM WITH SOCIAL NETWORK UPLOAD - I WANT THE OPTION TO UPLOAD TO FACEBOOK!

The photo album works fine, but if you like the older album and/or would like the ability to upload photos quickly to Facebook, follow these steps:
  1. Install HTC Album with Social Networking Engine cab [requires soft reset]
  2. Install Duttys Facebook upload fix cab [Don’t lean on me man, cause you can’t afford the ticket…time for soft reset city!] ß it’s ok if you don’t get the joke, just soft reset. J
  3. Now, take a picture of yourself in the bathroom mirror and upload it to Facebook! It’s a couple of key strokes from snapping a pic to uploading – pretty slick. NOTE: You may lose some of the functionality of the new Album by reverting back to the old [makes sense]…it’s a matter of taste whether you prefer the new or old.
FACEBOOK INTEGRATION IN CONTACTS

There are some things here worth noting:
  1. Be sure that your phone contact names match your Facebook friends’ usernames [first and last names] or the integration won’t work – you’ll get a “no data” type error.
  2. I’ve run into issues if I am syncing friends’ birthdays through Facebook integration. After a re-flash, when I use ActiveSync to restore my events, all of the Facebook birthday events become corrupted. As a workaround, I only use the Facebook integration to auto sync pictures.
  3. You control your Facebook login in START-SETTINGS-CONNECTIONS-Account Manager. You’ll also notice your YouTube login is controlled here.

BATTERY STUFF

This stuff may or may not work for you. You really need to do some research about what you can do to help get better life out of your device in general, then, apply that knowledge to get at the battery life you want/need. All I know for sure is that there are no known “sets” of enhancements that work for everyone across the board.

So many factors come into play with regard to battery life. You’re using a custom ROM…try to use some common sense before blasting the Chef for his free ROM sucking up your precious battery life. Any increase in speed or performance will degrade battery life – something’s gotta give. Backlight settings, what radio you’re using and where you live, polling settings for various features, checking your email every 5 minutes on seven accounts, etc. will all impact battery life. Do what’s best for you and your device. Google search to see what others have done…experiment.

Also, keep in mind the battery icon will drop from 100% to about 90-95% VERY fast. This is, again, a known issue. Don’t judge the battery life on the first five minutes of using the ROM…use it for a day or two to get a better gauge of what’s really up. Even on the older versions of the ROM, I never once had the device die on me. That said…read on.

1. Install LUMOS!!! [I posted a link earlier in the Guide and I HIGHLY recommend it for battery life]. Backlight options can have the biggest impact! Simply reducing your backlight brightness can double your battery life.
  2. Look into switching up your Radio. If your device isn't getting great service, it will use up a lot of battery power constantly searching for a good signal. Experimenting with different radios can have a dramatic impact on battery performance, depending on where you live...especially if you're in a poor coverage area. Here's the link to the "12 Radios" thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74422
  3. Make sure Push Internet is disabled. Go to the Internet Tab in Touchflo and press the "Menu" softkey. Go to "Data Settings" and disable Push Internet.
  4. Check to see that Location Setting is "Off". This can cause general sluggishness and drain as the device collects locational data. START-SETTINGS-SYSTEM.
  5. Here's a thread with some great information on batteries - calibration and such: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...arch&s=battery
  6. Maxx134 – BatterySaving ReducePollingIntervals.cab [makes a bunch of polling edits to reduce power consumption.http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...ostcount=11227 Here are the individual registry values that are changed with this cab:
Drivers/BuiltIn: error reporting -12000000
battery/poll interval -25000 GSensor 1000
Software/: HTC/HTCSensor/GSensor -1000
Opera/GSensor -1000
System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Power/Timeouts/:
batterpoll -1000
For GSensor settings: I did not increase values further because it would increase rota
tion delay.
I set them to "average"l rom values.
The original settings were way less than other roms and prob set for faster rotation, at expense of battery.
Other polling was found on my reg search and so also increased moderately.

NAVIGATION
[Google Search for these, as I assume they're not freeware]
  1. I recently got my hands on the Telenav Sprint PPC 5.5.18 cab. This is a significant upgrade to the cab I list below. In order to get things set up, you will need your pin number - try the last 4 digits of your phone number. If that doesn’t work, you’ll need to install Sprint Navigation [cab below] first and go into options to find it. Once you get Telenav set up properly, you can always delete Sprint Nav.
  2. [OPTIONAL] Installed Sprint Nav PPC 2.1.23 cab ß-graphics work perfect in this version.
    1. a.After install, I usually log in and check to make certain GPS is working, since I rely on this program when I’m on-the-go.
LOCK SCREEN - I’ve had success with S2U2. Calls come in fine, notifications work, and I can get four or five appointments displayed on the screen [beyond today and tomorrow]. You can also set the weather to “touchflo 3d” [in S2U2 Settings] and it will pull your city’s weather and display it as well. Additionally, you can enable vibrate on call connect with this program [in S2U2 Settings, under Feedback].

ALARM - I prefer G-Alarm to the standard built in version. The stock alarm has been reported to cause problems [notifications not going off...which renders it useless]. I use my device as an alarm, so I definitely recommend people check out G-Alarm. It's not freeware, but there are older free versions available if you Google search [versions prior to 2.x, I think are freeware]. Otherwise, I think I paid $6 for the software license and it performs flawlessly. It's very customizable, has a ton of features, and integrates perfectly with Touchflo. Check out the developers site: http://www.ageye.de/index.php?s=galarm/aboutHe just released [10/2/09] a new version of the software!

WORLDCARD MOBILE
– this is no longer preinstalled in the ROM. Use this version WorldCard Mobile.cab

NEW VERSION OF INCALL TWEEKS - Touch InCall Screen Tweek – Link to Thread or Link to the v 1.2.0.cab - 3 Sep 2009 - v1.2.0 - Bugfix Update - This version addresses a bug that has been around for a while, but has been difficult to track down. It appears that an early beta introduced an excessive battery drain for some users, and this has now been tracked down, and addressed.

Last edited by ThreeFaces; 11-12-2009 at 01:50 PM.
This post has been thanked 15 times.