View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 12:13 PM
isdnmatt
Regular 'Geeker

isdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP2 and GSM/CDMA use and summary (What we know thus far)

So after I don't know how many posts about the GSM capabilites of various versions of the TP2, I thought I'd post the confirmed information we have so people can stop asking. I would ask nicely for a sticky?

Telus TP2: First version to be unlocked. Telus does not provide an unlock code, but unlock codes can be purchased on Ebay for $13. Once unlocked, the phone can work normally on any GSM network, BUT domestic UMTS.
More information: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=77989

VZW TP2: Behaves exactly the same as the Telus TP2 once unlocked and Verizon readily provides unlock codes (FOR FREE) as long as you have been a customer for 60 days and have only had one phone unlocked in the last 10 months. It has been confirmed that US A&T and T-mobile SIM cards work normally. Again, domestic UMTS is unavailable.
More Information: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=84266

Sprint TP2: Unique in its setup. Does not have ANY SIM lock for foreign SIMS, but REFUSES to register on US GSM networks. Users HAVE confirmed that foreign SIMs function normally once outside the US.
More Information: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87113

All versions are compatible with text messages, SIM PIN codes, and can read SIM contacts.

The phones cannot operate on both CDMA/GSM networks simultaneously. In Global mode, the phone will search for CDMA signal, timeout, and begin searching for GSM. At any time while the phone is on and it loses CDMA signal, it will ask if you would like to switch to GSM.

Unlocking the Telus or VZW phones is very straight forward. Start --> Settings --> All Settings --> System Tab --> Device Information. The last line will show your IMEI. Provide this number to the company you have chosen to purchase an unlock code from.(VZW will already have a record of your IMEI so this step is not necessary for the VZW TP2.)

Once you have a code, either from VZW or another source. Start --> Settings --> All Settings --> Personal Tab --> Security. Enter the code into the dialog box and hit ok. If successful, a dialog will pop up and say "Your Phone is SIM Unlocked". You're all set, just put your favorite providers SIM card in and start making calls.

Also, for data settings, make sure you don't delete the standard GSM data settings. Rather, just edit with appropriate addresses. This makes sure that phone correctly switches from CDMA/GSM data settings. If you delete the GSM settings, you will have to go set which settings to use each time you switch from/to CDMA/GSM.

Last edited by isdnmatt; 09-25-2009 at 12:25 PM.
This post has been thanked 20 times.