View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 01:15 PM
pkmgarf
Lurker

pkmgarf is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[9/22/09] PKRom 0.5 - Titanium Only - WinMo 6.5 (23017) - Lightweight

Well, after spending yesterday reading up on ROM building, and last night staring at my laptop for more hours than I would have liked, I managed to make my first ROM.

I've tried many of the "popular" ROMs out there, and just didn't think they did what I wanted them to do. My Diamond was still slow, buggy and kind of a PITA to use. My goal here is to create lightweight, fast ROM with good performance, without a lot of bloat apps that no one really uses.

In fact, I stripped out a lot (including Manilla and some other HTC apps), as my opinion is, a ROM should be basic, and the user should choose what programs they want to run and then just install them via .cab. That, and I really am not a fan of Manilla. Maybe it's decent on newer devices, but it never impressed me on my Diamond (tried a few ROMs with, and a few without, and I prefer Titanium).

I cooked this using SSK's Kitchen v2.7.5 (www.sskusers.net). Here's the nitty-gritty details:

-WinMo 6.5 (23017)
-NO MANILLA - Titanium Only!
-Notification Enhancer
-Window's games (Bubble Breaker, Solitaire, Chess, FreeCell and Hearts)
-File Explorer extension
-Opera 9.5
-Facebook app
-Office Mobile
-Adobe Reader
-Numerous utilities (cleanRAM, clearTemp, Advanced Config, Diamond Tweak, Registry Editor, PocketRAR)
-S2U2
-White/Blue Phone canvas
-WinMo 6.5 ringtones and widgets
-Finger Keyboard 2.1
-HTC camera, Album
-Voice recorder, in-call recorder and MP3 trimmer

I think that is most of it. I've been using the ROM since last night, and all seems well. RAM on boot-up is at about 35-40%, and it seems to stay there (don't know for sure, haven't done much with the phone since flashing). Here's all the data from Settings/Memory

Storage:
Total: 96.80 MB
In Use: 41.84 MB
Free: 54.96

Program
Total: 192.80 MB
In Use: 71.07 MB
Free: 121.73 MB

I've got a lot to do still, like rearrange the Start menu (it's a mess) and change some apps, but so far, it seems to be working well. I don't have any screenshots (no app installed, plus there is nothing too special as far as looks go with this ROM. It's basically Titanium with some new icons on the task bar and a black Vista orb for the start menu).

http://rapidshare.com/files/283577994/DIAMIMG.nbh.html

Last edited by pkmgarf; 09-22-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added memory info and fixed some other stuff and added link.
This post has been thanked 1 times.