View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 03:53 AM
leetsauce
PPCGeeks Regular

leetsauce is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OPINION: Mogul was designed for WM5!

I've jumped back and forth between custom WM6 and WM5 roms, and after a few days of using WM5 (sampson's clean, rev 00 [because rev 01 kept hard resetting at random]), I am convinced! I used to live with WM6 and its lag, believing that was just how it is, but WM5 really opened my eyes. It is at least twice as fast. Sliding used to take like 3 seconds with WM6, but with WM5 it takes less than a second. Scrolling pages on IE used to be terrible on WM6, so choppy that text becomes unreadable even when scrolling at a slow rate. Not so with WM5: pages scroll smooth and quick, and more importantly, you can actually read while you scroll. Of course, these are minor details (major selling points for me), but overall, it feels much snappier and more responsive. There seems to be a very tiny memory leak, but nowhere as bad as it was with WM6. Example: I started at about 28MB in the morning, was about 23MB last time I checked. But even with multiple apps running, there doesn't seem to be any noticable lag (compared to WM6, which would literally freeze when you run more than three apps).

There are a few setbacks, such as the last-gen graphics and an older version of IE, but these are subtle differences, and WM5 operates pretty much just like WM6. However, I am still in search of a working smart dialer to go along with the Touch dialer I installed.

If you haven't tried WM5, and are willing to experiment, I strongly encourage you to give it a shot.

Last edited by leetsauce; 11-09-2007 at 03:58 AM.