View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 01:28 AM
TalynOne
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

TalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Setting up USB Modem driver on the computer:

On the Phone device:
  1. Make sure you've applied the NAI/detection registry changes described in the beginning of this post.
  2. Some say, you should terminate ActiveSync on your device, and terminate ActiveSync/Windows Mobile Device Center on your desktop, before running Wireless Modem, but I skip this step, and it seems to work fine for me.
  3. Launch the "Wireless Modem" shortcut.
  4. Make sure "USB" is selected for "Connection Type"
  5. Press the "Menu" button, and choose the "Start" menu item

For a Windows XP/2000/Vista client computer:
  1. Login into Windows PC as a user with Administrator credentials
  2. Connect the USB Cable from the Mogul to your computer
  3. After a short period of time the Found New Hardware Wizard screen will appear. On my Vista laptop, I let it search the Internet to find suitable drivers. It took a while, but it eventually found and installed them for me.

For those that have trouble getting/installing the drivers, I've extracted them from my machine using DriverGrabber, and put them in the attached .zip under the "drivers" folder. To install them, repeat steps from above, but instead of letting it search the Internet for suitable drivers:
  1. Select the No, not this time option and press the Next button.
  2. Select the Install from a list or specific location option on the displayed dialog and press the Next button.
  3. The Please choose your search and installation options dialog will appear on the screen. Uncheck the Search removable media option, and use the Browse button to point to the appropriate subfolder under the \drivers folder from the unzipped archive attached to this post. After that, press the Next button.
  4. The installation will be started and the Hardware Installation warning will be displayed. Press the Continue Anyway button to go on with the installation.
  5. After that, the Completing the Found New Hardware Wizard screen will appear. Press the Finish button.
  6. The driver installation is now complete and Windows will pop up a balloon with the text "Your new hardware is installed and ready to use".

Creating a New Dial-Up Connection:

For the Sprint CDMA network, the dial-up number is #777, the user name and password are blank.

For a Windows XP/2000/Vista computer:
  1. Start the Create a new Connection wizard. To do this, press the Windows Start button, select Connect To, choose Show all connections, and look for the wizard in the Network Tasks area in left of the panel. Alternatively, go into Windows Control Panel and choose the Network Connections item.
  2. The Welcome to the New Connection Wizard screen will be displayed. Press the Next button to proceed.
  3. The Network Connection Type screen will be displayed. Select Connect to the Internet and press the Next button.
  4. The Getting Ready dialog will appear. Select the Set up my connection manually option and press the Next button.
  5. The Internet Connection dialog will appear. Choose the Connect using a dial-up modem, and press the Next button to proceed.
  6. The Connection Name screen will be displayed. Type in the name of the connection. For example, Internet via USB Modem is good. Press the Next button.
  7. The Phone Number to Dial screen will be displayed. Type in the #777 and press the Next button.
  8. The Internet Account Information screen will be displayed. Don't enter anything for the user name and password, uncheck the Make this the default Internet connection checkbox and press the Next button.
  9. The Completing the New Connection Wizard screen will be displayed. Enable the Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop for easy connection access and press the Finish button.
  10. Now start the Internet via USB Modem dialog by double-clicking on its icon on the Windows desktop and press the Properties button
  11. The connection properties dialog will be displayed. On the General tab, make sure the Use dialing rules option is disabled
  12. On the Options tab, uncheck the Prompt for name and password, certificate, etc. and Prompt for phone number options, and press the OK button.
  13. The CDMA data connection is now setup!

Connecting to the Internet:
  1. Make sure you've applied the NAI/detection registry changes described in the beginning of this post.
  2. Some say, you should terminate ActiveSync on your device, and terminate ActiveSync/Windows Mobile Device Center on your desktop, before running Wireless Modem, but I skip this step, and it seems to work fine for me.
  3. Launch the "Wireless Modem" shortcut.
  4. Make sure "USB" is selected for "Connection Type"
  5. Press the "Menu" button, and choose the "Start" menu item
  6. Connect the USB Cable from the Mogul to your computer
  7. Double click/dial-up the Connection you made previously, make sure the connection is set to the right dial-up device (HTC USB Modem)
  8. Enjoy!

Disconnecting from the Internet:
  1. Disconnect your dial-up connection on your computer
  2. Disconnect the USB cable from your mobile device
  3. Press the "Menu" button, and choose the "Stop" menu item
  4. Press the "Done" button

FAQ:
  • My connection seems flaky/slow, how can I fix it?

Don't place your mobile device too close to your computer. If the devices are too close your connectivity could get flaky.

• By using this will I be charged by my phone carrier?:

Generally, this will incur the same charges as using the Internet on your phone. If you have SERO data plan, and you applied the NAI detection hacks correctly, you should be fine. The only way to be sure the NAI hacks worked, is to look at your next bill. You are responsible for any charges you may incur.

Credits:

sampson - His WM5 Rev 00 ROM for the Titan was the source of the missing Wireless Modem files.

luv2chill - Sprint Mogul Internet Sharing Connect Fix. (post by luv2chill).

electronicrice - Multi-NAI disable hacks for the Mogul

Menneisyys - For the Dial-up Networking Through Bluetooth Under WM5 AKU3 / WM6 Hack

Instructions for setting up the dial-up connection on the client came straight from the USBModem manual.

Related Reading:

Dial-up Networking Through Bluetooth Under WM5 AKU3 / WM6:
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/ind...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Internet sharing description & why Microsoft Mobile team removed Bluetooth DUN:
http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...tooth-dun.aspx

Using "Internet Sharing" over WiFi:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=341398

The new dial-up network model of the WM5 AKU3:

Unrestricted BT PAN server with the MS BT stack:

Final Thoughts/Comments:

This should also work for Bluetooth DUN, irDA, and on the MAC and Unix platforms. For the MAC and Unix platforms it's just a matter of locating and installing the correct drivers, and setting up the dial-up connection. If you get this to work on those platforms, please reply, with a copy of the drivers, so that I can update the install package. You might have some luck with the drivers HERE. Also you may want to locate/try the PPC-6700 USB drivers for those platforms. And for hints on how to setup the connection on a MAC/Unix machine, try examining the USBModem manual, as the steps should be very similar.

--------------------

Changelog:

v0.1
  • Initial Release
Attached Files
File Type: zip Wireless_Modem_for_Mogul_v0.1.zip (265.3 KB, 5250 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by TalynOne; 11-06-2007 at 04:40 PM.
This post has been thanked 22 times.