View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 01:23 PM
CovKid66
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs down Re: A few unique TP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedusa View Post
I understand, however the thing with Sprint is somewhat different. I went to the Settings -> Security and it says, "This phone is SIM unlocked."

So I put in an AT&T SIM card, switched the system to the GSM only mode, it tells me that "No Network Detected" and the phone status is "No Services."

Then I did a manual search on GSM networks, it still refuse to find any GSM networks. I swap out the AT&T SIM and put in a T-Mobile SIM, still the same result.

I thought my GSM radio is no good but under SIM manager, I can actually see the phone numbers and text messages I stored on the SIM card. Also I can hear the famous GSM pulse buzz in our old office phone.

Also in the phone there is an PDF titled "International Usage". I opened it and I saw something that says "Note: When in the United States, your device will only operate in CDMA only mode, domestic GSM networks are NOT accessible via this device."

Sounds like me that it's a software lock rather than a subsidy lock. Of course I could be wrong too. I don't have an non-US SIM card so I can't try it out if it's unlocked or not. I will be traveling to China in 2 weeks and I guess I will bring the phone with me to give a try.

Again, Sprint did this on purpose I am sure, after all whom would want someone to buy a phone for CDMA system and use it on a competitor's GSM network anyway. Oh yes BTW, it does NOT has US 3G band (UTMS 2100 only) so, EDGE in the States at the most.
I think you'll find it is only SIM locked within N/A. It will work fine abroad. The ebay vendor I linked you to states that they can SIM unlock TMobile, etc. My own Telus came with a SIM card, but it was only good for roaming abroad...it would not work within N/A. Inserting another carriers SIM card resulted in the exact same issues you reported...until I bought the unlock code.

Last edited by CovKid66; 09-06-2009 at 01:27 PM.