View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 12:09 PM
stevedusa
Halfway to VIP Status

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: A few unique TP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovKid66 View Post
Given the comment above, and coming from a "SIM locked" TP2 myself, I'm not sure if you can apply the same lock code I purchased or not??? This thread covered this for us Telus (CDMA) users who were looking to unlock the Telus locked GSM portion of our phones:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=77989

and specifically this post in that thread is what I used to purchase my unlock code...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=50

I'm now able to use any SIM card, North American or otherwise, to roam onto that carriers GSM network.
I understand, however the thing with Sprint is somewhat different. I went to the Settings -> Security and it says, "This phone is SIM unlocked."

So I put in an AT&T SIM card, switched the system to the GSM only mode, it tells me that "No Network Detected" and the phone status is "No Services."

Then I did a manual search on GSM networks, it still refuse to find any GSM networks. I swap out the AT&T SIM and put in a T-Mobile SIM, still the same result.

I thought my GSM radio is no good but under SIM manager, I can actually see the phone numbers and text messages I stored on the SIM card. Also I can hear the famous GSM pulse buzz in our old office phone.

Also in the phone there is an PDF titled "International Usage". I opened it and I saw something that says "Note: When in the United States, your device will only operate in CDMA only mode, domestic GSM networks are NOT accessible via this device."

Sounds like me that it's a software lock rather than a subsidy lock. Of course I could be wrong too. I don't have an non-US SIM card so I can't try it out if it's unlocked or not. I will be traveling to China in 2 weeks and I guess I will bring the phone with me to give a try.

Again, Sprint did this on purpose I am sure, after all whom would want someone to buy a phone for CDMA system and use it on a competitor's GSM network anyway. Oh yes BTW, it does NOT has US 3G band (UTMS 2100 only) so, EDGE in the States at the most.