View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 03:43 AM
SweetBearCub
Regular 'Geeker

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Found something that makes the 3.5mm headphone jack a moot point!

A lot of folks here have been waiting for HTC phones to include 3.5mm headphone jacks. Why is beyond me, since the 3.5mm jack does not support audio input, call control buttons, or anything other than audio out. On a music/media player, this wouldn't be a problem. On a PDA/Phone, I see it as a problem.

What if I told you that I found a remote which is a genuine HTC product that plugs into the ExtUSB port and offers the following:

- Integrated microphone
- Voice dial support
- Last number redial support
- Volume buttons
- Music/FM control buttons (Next/Prev, also functions as FF/Rew)
- Play/Pause button
- Phone buttons (Send/End)
- Mute button to silence ringtone when an incoming call comes or mute the microphone during an ongoing call
- Hold switch to lock/unlock the remote control
- Clothes Clip
- ~3.5ft long cord (Plus length of attached headphone cord)
- 3.5mm headphone jack on remote to support headphones of your choice
- Includes set of basic 3.5mm earbuds

Price? $25.85, about 10 days from ordering to delivery. It is unfortunately incompatible with the dongle that allows charging/syncing while using an ExtUSB headset. Why, I do not know. So basically, you cannot charge the phone and use this headset at the same time.

If HTC would include this remote in the box with their phones, they would gain several customers. After all, shouldn't a do-it-all device have a do-it-all remote/headphone combo?

My goal in this post is not to sell you the remote, but rather to ask - Given that this remote is available - Why use the built-in 3.5mm jack with all its limitations?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E100.jpg (21.3 KB, 446 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by SweetBearCub; 09-03-2009 at 03:46 AM.