View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 12:27 PM
raidzero
N00b

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to raidzero
Re: Any thoughts on battery life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
If you're in a situation where your battery is draining from 100% to 20% in a few hours, (few being defined as less than 5 in this case) no new ROM/radio is going to help you. You have a systemic issue that needs to be solved, perhaps one of:

1. Wifi on all day
2. Terrible signal strength
3. 3+ hours of voice use
4. Dead battery
5. Rogue process using up processor cycles

Is your phone constantly hot? If so, that indicates (5). It's a big clue when you're not on a call and the top back part of your phone (above the battery) is warm to the touch when the phone is not supposed to be doing anything.

If your battery goes from 100% to 20% from 8am to 6pm with an hour or two of voice usage and push email going all day, that's about normal for a stock TP and battery.

What software do you have installed? How often do your POP accounts poll? Do you have any weather apps that download data in the background? Do you tether at all?

With respect to Raidzero's post about radios: you have exactly the same apps installed on those two phones, everything is identical except for the radio? I'm shocked and (honestly) in disbelief that radio software could account for ~40% battery difference in 90 minutes. (edit: corrected % and time)
yes the same rom, the only difference is she had live search installed and titaniumradar configured. However she is using gmail push (every ten mins) and I am on exchange push (as items arrive). I have always used exchange as items arrive. I am going to run this sprint radio for a few more days and see how it works and probably will end up flashing back to stock. also, at our apartment signal strength is AWFUL, I am at -95dbm most times.

it makes sense to me when I think about device drivers/firmware, they probably have been written to try harder to find a signal, like a priority issue or something, or to just accept that they have a low signal and not do anything about it.. radio A might be programmed to make network a priority while radio B might be more passive, it makes sense to me that radio B would be easier on the battery..

Last edited by raidzero; 08-31-2009 at 12:30 PM.