PPCGeeks Regular

thecheet is keeping up the good workthecheet is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Why use a custom ROM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airoff View Post

Here’s where I’m a little confused...

1) Is it true that software installed in a flashed ROM is not uninstallable via "Remove Programs"? Are there other restrictions as to what you can do with it?

2) Does having SW in ROM save RAM in the phone, since the executable is already in memory? Are you using space for programs that normally would be unavailable in a stock ROM?
3) Would it also mean that programs execute faster because they're already loaded? Does it mean that you can't terminate a program in task manager because it's part of ROM?

Thanks

airoff

HTC Mogul
Sprint
1. No it's just that the phones are cooked into the rom so they are not recognized by the device as stand alone programs. You can install a "clean" rom. These are usually cooked by the chefs and only have the basic must have files on them. Then you can choose to add programs as you wish.

2. The roms are usually "faster" because some files that aren't needed are removed. This saves internal memory running processes. With the stock sprint rom I use on average around 35% at boot using Vogue. When a custom rom that can be as low as 27 or 28. It just means the phone functions smoother.

3. I don't know about programs booting faster because they are cooked into the rom. Most of the time programs are included because they are widely used and it keeps you from having to go through and re-install. You are still able to close these programs out in the task manager. You are not able to delete them from programs list but when they are running they will show in the task manager.

Last edited by thecheet; 08-25-2009 at 01:51 PM.