robsta
PPCGeeks Regular

robsta is keeping up the good workrobsta is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TOMTOM - where to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerks View Post
Where can I purchase the newest version of TomTom and maps for use on an Alltel Diamond Touch? Does it require bios hacks to use? I originally bought the phone and was going to use Alltel navigation with it but that is not supported on that phone by Alltel.

Any info on how to get a legal copy of a GOOD navagition system and installed on the phone would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
BIOS hacks? haha... wrong word for it. No, it doesn't need any hacks as long as your GPS is 'unlocked'. You can check this by using Google Maps and selecting 'Use GPS' in the menu. If it gets a lock on your location, that means your GPS isn't locked to a specific program (such as Alltel's Navigation). I believe the only company that was locking GPS was Verizon. You should be fine if you have an Alltel branded phone.

TomTom can be bought from their website, however I don't know if they support installation to an internal storage. Most of the third-party GPS systems for WM comes on a MicroSD card that had some kind of protection, so you can only use it if that SD card is installed on your phone. Of course this solution doesn't work with out phones. There are workarounds, but this isn't the forum for that, the legality of it is kind of grey.

I highly recommend and personally use Nav N Go iGO8, but I had to use a workaround (Hey I bought the software/maps, shouldn't I be able to use it on a device of my choice?). Its a very powerful turn-by-turn GPS program with tons of power options and features such as Text to Speech and 3-D maps. Garmin Navigator XT comes in a close 2nd for me, very good GPS program! TomTom is nice and very easy to use, but the GUI or features haven't been updated for a while.

I recall a third party turn-by-turn GPS app that did not require a SD card to be used, but I cannot recall which company it was. I do remember it was a major brand, might be TomTom.

Last edited by robsta; 08-20-2009 at 02:15 AM.