Thread: T-Mobile Users?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 06:21 PM
8notime
Almost a VIP

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: T-Mobile Users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasjim View Post
I have (had) one for a week. I am taking it back this morning. Cons: despite the map showing strong signal at my house, um not so much. The TP2, especially with a case is VERY bulky. Dropping back to WM 6.1 lesssens the user experience. TomTom does not install. The Touchflo is choppy like the stock TP was. Pros: The display, battery life and keyboard are awesome. 3G was available when I was in San Francisco last week and worked great. Even though T-Moble claims 3G in Dallas, I have yet to find the tower to stand under it. Bottom line, I will probably buy a Sprint TP2 (despite my dislike of Sprint) and hope that some one can unlock it to go to a GSM network that works at my house. I am going to donate to the SPL unlock project. I can't use a stock phone!
I would second everything you've said (minus the TomTom part - it installed fine for me and works great).

Additional thoughts:

* The color scheme (IMHO) is just not pleasing to the eye. I have definitely gotten used to it, but I think the Verizon & Telus versions are much better.
* The screen, while nice, doesn't seem as sharp/crisp as the TP1. It seems like they everything is just stretched out to fit the screen. Having said that, surfing the web is amazing & it's great to be able to read the forums so easily on the TP2. It's also easier to push hyperlinks on the screen, like the page #'s at the bottom of this page, and the little "go to new post" icon. It's also easier to press things like the OK button in the upper right corner and the scroll bars. I never pull my stylus out unless I'm deep inside the OS trying to change a native WM setting (like selecting a sound from a pull-down).
* The TF3D/WM integration is inconsistent and awkward. For example, if I'm on the text Messaging tab in TF3D, and select the menu/reply softkey, the standard WM text messaging application opens. However if I click the message from the messaging screen, it opens HTC's messaging interface. There's a back softkey in HTC's messaging interface that is a send softkey in the WM interface. If you hit the back key by accident in HTC's interface you will exit the interface and lose everything you just typed. There's also no counter in HTC's interface so you have no idea how many characters you've typed. I actually prefer the stock messaging interface.
* You have to hack a bunch of stuff if you want TF3D to launch Opera instead of PIE.
* The row of buttons at the bottom of the phone are difficult to press and are smaller than what I've seen on other variations of the phone. They are also REALLY bright.
* Unlike the TP1, the speakers are on the back of the phone. Set it on a table and it muffles A LOT.
* The start menu is just stock WM. I don't see any of HTC's goodness like I saw in other review on other carriers.
* It's difficult to access the comm manager. I'm used to pressing the signal icon at the top and then opening the comm manager from there. If I press there now, it opens the notifications screen, so comm manager needs to be accessed from the programs tab in TF3D or via settings.
* I like the reset button on the outside, although I haven't really had to use it much.
* Size wise I would compare it to a really thick iPhone. The CDMA versions are even bigger based on the specs I've seen. Probably due to having dual cellular radios.

Last edited by 8notime; 08-19-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: tomtom works so I edited my review to reflect this.
This post has been thanked 1 times.