janko10
Regular 'Geeker

janko10 is keeping up the good workjanko10 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Considering the Verizon HTC Touch Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookItsTheFatKid View Post
I was considering the Samsung Omnia as well but I wasn't sure I would like not having a physical keyboard. I'd be alright with waiting but I'm on a family plan and my parents and sister don't want to wait. I don't think I want to spend a lot of extra money buyin an unlocked phone. Why would Verizon remove RAM from the phone?

*Edit* I see there is a thread here on activating Sprint phones on other networks. Would this work on any phone? Also is it relatively safe assuming I follow the directions exactly as posted?
*Edit2* After re-reading your post boredandtattooed is that what you were suggesting? Buying a sprint TP and trying to activate it on the Verizon network? Does the extra RAM really make that much of a difference?

Sorry for all the questions guys. Thanks a lot for being quick in answering them though.
No need to be sorry that's what we're here for.

I had a Sprint Touch Pro on VZW and while I liked it much better than the VZW version, I ran into one major problem... warranty.

I expected the phone to last and it just didn't. The keyboard died on me and there really wasn't much I could do but send it into HTC to have it repaired which takes weeks. While being at HTC, I wouldn't be able to use any other phone (I got the TP onto VZW through a loophole they've now closed. Really the only way to get it on now is to get your ESN added to the database and it's pretty hard at this point). If I activated another phone, I wouldn't be able to use the TP once it came back.

I enjoyed having the extra ram but in the end, the poor build quality of the TP (and the significant number of keyboard failures) just made it a problem. So I would advise against going that route at this point.

If you have to get a phone now and can't wait a few weeks for the TP2, the VZW is an ok option and at $99 is probably worth it. Lots of roms on here have been tweaked for the lower amount of ram and it's less of an issue now.