View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 05:38 AM
J.eremy
PPCGeeks Regular

J.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to J.eremy Send a message via AIM to J.eremy Send a message via Yahoo to J.eremy
Re: does constant cooking fragment your HDD faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidzero View Post
Title says it all. I am running vista now and really have no way to tell as the Vista defrag utility displays NO information whatsoever. I would imagine reading tens of thousands of tiny files into ram at once then writing them back to disk over and over and over would thrash the disk pretty heavily. Is this assumption correct? Thanks!
To answer your question, if you are constantly creating files, deleting files, creating more files, 1000's of sys files, deleting those and updating a new version of 1000 sys files yes, your drive will become fragmented very quickly.

Some of the other posters are correct, Diskeeper is just the full version of the windows defragger. they are both made by the same company

all the defrag options are pretty good tho. Diskeeper, O&O etc.

I have a linux headless fileserver that im using as network attached storage formatted in EXT4, cause i dont like to defrag all the time hehe